hmr went putt

biker1

Hi all I was shooting rabbits to night with the hmr shot 9 and went to shoot the 10th and the shot didn't sound the same. Thinking the round might be up the spout I unloaded and checked the barrel was clear and carried on with no probs. I've sh8t 1000s of rounds with no problems untill tonight using hornaday ammo
Regards tony

Just be thankful it cleared the barrel!!! Could have been a real pain if it had jammed part way like some have.

Just be thankful it cleared the barrel!!! Could have been a real pain if it had jammed part way like some have.
yes I have read about some of the guys getting one stuck thats why I checked it was clear before shooting any more rounds.it sounded like the cartridge was only half power

Too many problems being reported recently, glad I stayed with a boring old 22lr
I have a .22 as well and would never sell its to handy but tonight with a still night was able to shoot rabbits out to 200 yards its a cracking round for longer range regards tony

Hi Tony, me and my shooting buddy both shoot Federal ammo out of our HMRs and have fire 1000s like yourself without a hickup, until now when we noticed some split necks on unfired ammo, going to take it back to the dealer next week.

Ian.

Hi Tony, me and my shooting buddy both shoot Federal ammo out of our HMRs and have fire 1000s like yourself without a hickup, until now when we noticed some split necks on unfired ammo, going to take it back to the dealer next week.

Ian.

Interesting, I have had split necks here and there for years with Federals, but no failures. Since I changed to Hornady I have not had a single split on any so far. Thought the splits were just par for the course having read around so will be interested in what your dealers has to say about it.

I recently posted about this, I had 300 round from 2011 blue tip, it would seem they may had a batch problem, split cases, bad powder etc, all the new stuff 500 rounds of hornaday red tip is so different, it even sound different when fired more crisp.

This is something I discovered recently about the .17 ammo problems through a friend in the trade.

"There has been a lot of talk about how bad the .17HMR ammo is with split cases and squib rounds. I have had one squib round out of many and a few split cases that I was actually aware of but this never affected accuracy. From recent enquiries the culprits in this are Remington Hornady and CCI who make their ammunition in the same factory using the same components, but I understand they are dealing with this problem, they have to. The good news is that Winchester (Supreme) make their own ammo in their own factory and produce better ammunition with stronger cases and it's accurate and reliable and what I now use."

Anybody heard anything to this effect? I shall now be keeping my .17 along with my trusty .22.

Deer man this has been reported and debated on this site numerous times in the last couple of years. If you care go do a search on this site you can bore yourself to tears and loose the will to live reading of the problems with Squib loads, split cases, bullets stuck in barrels, blow ups and various other problems that people have had with dodgy .17hmr loads. It's all down to manufacturing problems and varying quality issues by the seem of it.
As you say despite what the name on the box says and the colur of the plastic tip most of the ammo has been made in the one plant.

I recently posted about this, I had 300 round from 2011 blue tip, it would seem they may had a batch problem, split cases, bad powder etc, all the new stuff 500 rounds of hornaday red tip is so different, it even sound different when fired more crisp.

Sound great matey but remember it was my rifle that got the bunnies :)

Had another throughly annoying experience with Hornady 17gn v-max myself. After suffering a good few nights rabbitting with some decidedly wobbly shooting and extreme frustration I took the .17 to the range and put down 5 x 5 shot groups each onto a different A4 size target at 100 yards. The result was a total of only 21 holes in the targets! Shooting off a bipod with rear bag, there is no way I put any shots off target so either the bullets didn't arrive at the target at all or were so inconsistent that they were off the board.

No problems with squibs or anything untoward in that respect. All seemed to go off quite consistently, at least from behind the rifle.

I have since changed to CCI 20 grain JSP's with a welcome return to form in my shooting! Not as instantly destructive as the v-max but at least they go where you point them.....

Deer man this has been reported and debated on this site numerous times in the last couple of years. If you care go do a search on this site you can bore yourself to tears and loose the will to live reading of the problems with Squib loads, split cases, bullets stuck in barrels, blow ups and various other problems that people have had with dodgy .17hmr loads. It's all down to manufacturing problems and varying quality issues by the seem of it.
As you say despite what the name on the box says and the colur of the plastic tip most of the ammo has been made in the one plant.

Well aware of the .17HMR issues having owned one since '05, my reply was for biker1's benefit, as he raised the point. I'm sure more questions on this will be raised by someone until this ammo issue is resolved . . . time will tell.

Well aware of the .17HMR issues having owned one since '05, my reply was for biker1's benefit, as he raised the point. I'm sure more questions on this will be raised by someone until this ammo issue is resolved . . . time will tell.
thanks deer man I for one wont be getting rid of my hmr its just to handy for the longer range stuff regards tony

Back