Re handling an old knife of mine.

digger9523

Decided to re scale an old knife of mine again.

Had some Buffallo horn on it for a few years, this seems to be the only pic of it in that guise:

DSC00431.jpg

Got bored of that, so a change was in order!

IMG_0984_zps94b973ab.jpg

IMG_0988_zps345964c9.jpg

IMG_0987_zpsab423ed3.jpg

IMG_0985_zps7d6f0804.jpg

And so, now the hard bit begins!

Never had a lanyard of any kind in it before, don't ever intend to have one, so left that out this time in favour of having as much of that beautiful Arizona Desert Ironwood on show as possible.

All rasps, files, sand paper and sore elbows from now on! More pics to follow shortly. :cool:

Well kids, are we sitting comfortably?

Went to a mates daughters Christening today.

Got back home at 1630hrs Precisely, and by 1635 i was in ze garage molesting the knife again!

And here are the pics, hopefully in order so you can see the progress.

Here's the view from my workshop window, one of them anyway:

IMG_0995_zpsbf1b7ec7.jpg

Here's the gear:

IMG_0993_zps8969e8d0.jpg

And then Into her, firstly with my course diamond file that i made some months back:

IMG_0994_zps90bad7d3.jpg

Went over it with that for an hour or so:

IMG_0996_zps0fc88704.jpg

Then changed tactics for a bit by resting the file in a convenient notch in my bench and drawing the knife up and down on it in a draw knife fashion, and also doing a bit with the rasp at stages:

IMG_1001_zpsf0783077.jpg

Wasn't long before some sort of shape started coming through:

IMG_0997_zpsb3fa36ec.jpg

IMG_0998_zpsc8f05982.jpg

IMG_0999_zps14ef6a9a.jpg

IMG_1002_zps7ea26678.jpg

IMG_1003_zpsb6cf09a0.jpg

More pics to follow in the next post!

And here she is, Almost finished!

IMG_1004_zps39d74803.jpg

IMG_1005_zps583ab1c6.jpg

IMG_1006_zps19bde8fa.jpg

IMG_1007_zps3b0ff804.jpg

IMG_1008_zps12cc559f.jpg

There's still a bit of sanding to do, just to get out a few deep scratches, but still, it's Much more the knife i always wanted it to be now!

Fank you, g'night, Much luv! :D

The new handle looks great. I wouldnt have called a ray mears woodlore "an old knife" myself:)

Nicely done. Not a Woodlore though. I like the DI on it - it's becoming harder to get so it's superb you got nicely figured stuff.

Nicely done. Not a Woodlore though.

I can assure you it Is a Woodlore mate. ;)

IMG_1009_zps36e8ba0a.jpg

​And as for Old, I've carried this thing about for nearly 15 years! I think it qualifies as an Old knife now, doesn't matter who made or designed it. :cool:

Stunning real craftsmanship at work. Knife making is a hobby /pastime I have managed my best to keep away from as I know I would get addicted

Thanks a lot chaps! Glad you like it!

Goes to show that it can be done with very inexpensive tools in a few hours of graft. Need a good wrist action, got plenty of training for that in the army, and even more now I'm married! :D

That's a beautiful piece of work you have crafted there digger.. First post I looked and thought that it looks a bit square and uncomfortable to hold, should've scrolled down before opening my mouth(albeit in my head):doh:

keep up the good work!

​regards, Jez

Nice work.

At the risk if being seen to teach you to .................. do please be careful not to inhale dust from these exotic woods. Some are very nasty indeed.

Cheers

K

Nice work.

At the risk if being seen to teach you to .................. do please be careful not to inhale dust from these exotic woods. Some are very nasty indeed.

Cheers

K

Very sound advice mate, something I should have mentioned myself!

Rest assured that when I'm doing heavy sanding of any handle material, i look like I just abseiled onto the balcony of Princess's Gate! :D

That's a beautiful piece of work you have crafted there digger.. First post I looked and thought that it looks a bit square and uncomfortable to hold, should've scrolled down before opening my mouth(albeit in my head):doh:

keep up the good work!

​regards, Jez

:rofl:

Yeah I can imagine what went through your mind to start with! :D

Back