buying bullets for someone else

Tomm

buying bullet heads for someone else

hello. i am contemplating a trip up country to collect some components for reloading. whilst i am up there a friend of mine has asked me to get him some heads. the caliber of heads is not a problem as i have it on my fac and so does he. the problem is i can only buy 200 at a time. can i take his fac with a convering letter or is this not legal? also is there a way of getting heads posted down similar to posting a firearm?

thanks
Tom

Last edited:
hello. i am contemplating a trip up country to collect some components for reloading. whilst i am up there a friend of mine has asked me to get him some heads. the caliber of heads is not a problem as i have it on my fac and so does he. the problem is i can only buy 200 at a time. can i take his fac with a convering letter or is this not legal? also is there a way of getting heads posted down similar to posting a firearm?

thanks
Tom

Bullets, Bullets, Bullets they are called bullets.:banghead: :rofl:
:banghead:

It used to be quite acceptable to take someone else's certificate and buy on their behalf with a covering letter but since the introduction of photographs on certificates I'm not sure if this is now acceptable or legal or even if the dealer would be prepared to sell to you in such a way. Why don't you give the dealer a call beforehand. As regards having expanding bullets sent by carrier to another dealer this is quite common and how MidwayUK do it.

Last edited:
Depends on your allowance.
what is to stop you buying more than you need within your allowance and then selling them to him?

as far as taking his FAC, I would say no. there is a photo on it for a reason.

Expanding bullets can be posted RFD to RFD but the cost of doing so negates the benefit.
It may only be a £10 TNT cost but by the time the RFD's have taken their pound of flesh it will be £25-30

Bullets, Bullets, Bullets they are called bullets.:banghead: :rofl:
:banghead:

It used to be quite acceptable to take someone else's certificate and buy on their behalf with a covering letter but since the introduction of photographs on certificates I'm not sure if this is now acceptable or legal or even if the dealer would be prepared to sell to you in such a way. Why don't you give the dealer a call beforehand. As regards having expanding bullets sent by carrier to another dealer this is quite common and how MidwayUK do it.

i will give them a ring and see about postage costs etc. i wasnt aware that you would send them via carrier. if thats the case it would save me alot of time and fuel money!

if memory serves, what you mean is you can only be in possession of 200 rounds of ammunition, the bullets/heads/little-bits-of-lead-flyinging-out-the-barrel doesn't apply to the FAC.
ie you can buy a 1000 but they don't apply until they have been made into rounds.
so you can only reload 200 at a time.
I think that's right, but I'm sure that someone out there will challenge it if wrong!!

if memory serves, what you mean is you can only be in possession of 200 rounds of ammunition, the bullets/heads/little-bits-of-lead-flyinging-out-the-barrel doesn't apply to the FAC.
ie you can buy a 1000 but they don't apply until they have been made into rounds.
so you can only reload 200 at a time.
I think that's right, but I'm sure that someone out there will challenge it if wrong!!

Sorry Herbi but you are mistaken there. Expanding bullets (or missiles as the H.O. refer to them) count towards your ammunition allowance loaded or not. However you can buy as and possess as many non expanding bullets as you like as these are not controlled until assembled into a round.

The photo has nothing to do with it, you can send anybody with your SGC and a covering letter to buy shells on your behalf.
Never heard of it being done with an FAC, but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

Neil. :)

The photo has nothing to do with it, you can send anybody with your SGC and a covering letter to buy shells on your behalf.
Never heard of it being done with an FAC, but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

Neil. :)

you can buy shotgun cartridge without a SGC, anyone can buy them
FAC and expanding ammo is totally different

Unless you got your certificate on you Litts will not sell you shotgun shells.......and definitely not Rifle ammo.

To be honest kip Litts or the sportsman are only playing safe, there are some real dodgy persons around Newport and can you really blame them for being careful and asking for something that really isn't required in respect of shotgun cartridges.

I think that you do need a SGC to buy shotgun cartidges, and that they may indeed be sold to someone presenting a SGC and a covering letter from the SGC-holder.

I think that having been sold the cartridges, the non-SGC-holding purchaser is in lawful possession of them, as no SGC is required to possess shotgun cartridges. In this regard, shotgun cartridges differ from S5 bullets.

You must produce a valid Sgc to purchase shotgun cartridges unless ( as hornet and dalua have said ) you have the sgc holders letter of permission and valid sgc to produce on their behalf to enable said purchase.( you can then give them to anyone as long as they are not prohibted by law as there is no requirement to have a sgc to posses shotgun cartridges or primers.
This exemption doesn't extend to the purchase of expanding ammunition for fac holders. However, if you are not purchasing expanding bullets for a friend, you can purchase as many bullets as you like whether that calibre is on your fac or not. That's my take on it,
Cheers,
Fatty.

To be honest kip Litts or the sportsman are only playing safe, there are some real dodgy persons around Newport and can you really blame them for being careful and asking for something that really isn't required in respect of shotgun cartridges.

​lol

Sorry Herbi but you are mistaken there. Expanding bullets (or missiles as the H.O. refer to them) count towards your ammunition allowance loaded or not. However you can buy as and possess as many non expanding bullets as you like as these are not controlled until assembled into a round.
8X57, I agree with your observation re: count towards your allowance, however, even though you may purchase unlimited quantities of non expanding ammo ( hollow point) the amount in totallity you possess ie: bullets (or heads as some call them) missiles all count towards your allowance, it is an offence under sec 1 (2) of FA 1968 (excessive possession as per FA certificate) & sec 5 FA 1968 (g) 1 & 2 (possession of ammunition etc)

the maximum sentence (magistrates court) is 6 months & or a fine up to £5k, any sentence over 3 months you are banned from possession a firearm for 5 years, (crown court) is 5 years custody, and unlimited fine, any sentence over 3 years you are banned for life from possessioning a firearm

In my view, if you are contemplating doing this, ring your local FA dept, run it past the, then get them to reduce it to writing if they say that it is OK, which I doubt, but who knows!!

8X57, I agree with your observation re: count towards your allowance, however, even though you may purchase unlimited quantities of non expanding ammo ( hollow point) the amount in totallity you possess ie: bullets (or heads as some call them) missiles all count towards your allowance, it is an offence under sec 1 (2) of FA 1968 (excessive possession as per FA certificate) & sec 5 FA 1968 (g) 1 & 2 (possession of ammunition etc)

Non-S5 bullets do not, as far as I'm aware, count towards any FAC possession limits on ammunition in the way that S5 expanding bullets do.
I think non-S5 bullets are free from any control under the Firearms Act.

the maximum sentence (magistrates court) is 6 months & or a fine up to £5k, any sentence over 3 months you are banned from possession a firearm for 5 years, (crown court) is 5 years custody, and unlimited fine, any sentence over 3 years you are banned for life from possessioning a firearm

In my view, if you are contemplating doing this, ring your local FA dept, run it past the, then get them to reduce it to writing if they say that it is OK, which I doubt, but who knows!!

Patrick I think you are a little confused or have at least confused what you wrote.

Hollow point bullets are considered to be expanding missiles therefore section 5. Where people often go wrong is that they confuse match (target) bullets that have very small holes in the nose with those that are designed to expand (proper hollow point bullets). You do not have to include any non expanding bullets in your allowance and you are free to buy as many as you like. You don't even need a FAC to purchase or hold non expanding bullets.

Hello 8X57, I take, and respect your view, that said that why legal case law is arugued, and developed due one interpretation of any aspect of law, nice to see another view on this one, which Iam sure will continue

No this is not an interpretation of the Law. 8x57 is quite right. Target Bullets (missiles as the law calls them just to add variety) are not controlled and do not count towards your quantity to hold until the missile is seated in an assembled round. You can buy any quantity you want mail order with no FAC

Expanding Bullets assembled or not count towards you maximum quantity to purchase or hold. They even unassembled have to be kept in your ammo safe. When you buy them they are noted on your FAC.

As you will see they are two totally different kettles of fish.

Its flipping amazing how many time this point gets raised in so many different ways and causes so much confusion.

Personally one thing that I find amazing is the confusion over what constitutes an expanding bullet or as you mention “missile” in H.O. jargon. This was demonstrated by an article posted by I believe Jackson Rifles when they challenged shooters to identify 10 bullets and to say whether they were classed as being expanding or not. Many attempted this task but very few if any succeeded in identifying all the bullets correctly.

One possible solution could be the introduction of a voluntary marking scheme by manufacturers and/or distributors. Whereby the packaging of all ammunition and bullets have a small sticky label or symbol indicating suggested suitability such as the system used by several manufacturers in Europe. The system would have to be applied locally due to differences in legislation between countries but wouldn’t this go some way to clarify any confusion as to the designed use of the bullet? I think that it would be particularly helpful to new shooters or those that only shoot or reload occasionally. I will have to see if I can find an example of the type of pictogram that I mean regarding suggested ammunition/bullet suitability.

Back