Fluting a barrel

7-08Ai

Looking to take some weight of my barrel ,anyone had there's fluted retrospectively if so is there any danger of losing accuracy :eek:

Last edited:
Try a search, pretty sure that it has been covered recently.
As for having an existing barrel fluted, well no matter how it is done, you will induce stress, and the barrel will distort.
But whether it will be by enough to cause accuracy problems is the gamble you take if you go ahead with it.
To be honest I would only consider a barrel that was fluted before boring and rifling.

Neil. :)

i wanted my cooper fluted cos i got a fluted sako as well the smith concerned told me he could put 6 nice deep flutes in for me and happily relieve me of a goodly sum of dosh but in his honest opinion what i would save in weight loss would be minimal and he advised me to save my cash .......i heeded his advice but if that wot floats ur boat knock yerself out

It can be done but light cuts are required each pass but in all honesty it's aesthetics at best!

neil it wont add stress it will releave the stress in the barrel poss leading to warping and twisting

neil it wont add stress it will releave the stress in the barrel poss leading to warping and twisting

Depends on how the barrel was made, and how the fluting is done, but stress or not, removing metal will as you say lead to warping etc.

Neil. :)

Sometimes ounces are the difference between a rifle being within weight of a certain class of competition such as BSRC Class B so I can understand how tempting this might seem to some.

Wheather the stress inducing/releaving thing would translate into a ruined rifle I just don't know as not seen any impirical data either way so why not go for it and do a before and after test and write up for SD??

Sorry.

K
Ps: I'd also be keen to know if a double Cryo' treated barrel would be any less suseptable to that claimed above?

I spoke to a former employee of one of the barrel manufactures about this, I think because he was a former employee he had no vested interest in selling me another barrel. His advice was take small cuts and all would be fine in most cases, especially on a stalking rifle.

Think on this, a lot of gunsmiths buy barrel blanks un-profiled in 32mm dia tube, they then turn it down to a sporter or semi-sporter weight barrel. What are the stresses this puts into the blank? The muzzle could be turned down to 15mm from 32mm thus far more material is removed than fluting.

ATB

Tahr

very true, but this is in the un-fired state..... it all depends on how the barrel was first made. i wouldn't bother again.......

I had a .308 Remington fluted by Peter Sarony at Armalon. He knows about barrels.

Didn't affect the accuracy as far as I can make out.

Your mileage may vary of course.

Looking to take some weight of my barrel ,anyone had there's fluted retrospectively if so is there any danger of losing accuracy :eek:

I recommend talking to Mik Maksimovic at Dolphin Rifles in Lincolnshire.
he builds world beating championship rifles and has outstanding workshop and the rightattitude.

if anyone can help you, it's him

listen to the guys who are saying no, had two Walther 22-250 barrels exact lengths and profiles, difference in weight 7.5 grams, got one fluted for a customer by one of the top guys, weight saved 3.5 ounces. Guess which one shot better, yes the unfluted one, it would shoot a ten round group with no problems the fluted one would start to walk them after 4 rounds. Not worth the bother or expense.

If you want to lose weight effectively then you will do it with a lot less hassle by taking an inch off the length - it will cost you a lot less too! I did some calcs on barrel weight when building a rifle for BSRC comp which has weight restrictions, the effect of fluting really was minimal.

go for a dump before you go stalking
you will shed much more weight than can ever be achieved using light materials or aesthetic changes to barrel profiles

Back