Ruger Frontier??????? why

Toytown

this may sound like a stupid question but was the Ruger Frotier for real or was it the result of a few too many ports after a hunt.

the reason i say this is why on earth would you want your scope mounted halfway down the barrel if you have a standard sporter stock not a bullpup and surely a 16" barrel on a .308 would pretty much hammer performance?

im sure i will be set straight lol but i had to ask the question

The concept of the Modern Scout Rifle and the Ruger Frontier was forwarded by a Colonel Jeff Cooper. Google jeff cooper's scout rifles and it will explain everything you want to know. I like the basic concept but the long eye relief scope is an acquired taste and not for me.
On a different note Cooper wrote some excellent books and if a 50 year old man is allowed heros then he is one of mine.

Yorkie.

The concept of the Modern Scout Rifle and the Ruger Frontier was forwarded by a Colonel Jeff Cooper. Google jeff cooper's scout rifles and it will explain everything you want to know. I like the basic concept but the long eye relief scope is an acquired taste and not for me.
On a different note Cooper wrote some excellent books and if a 50 year old man is allowed heros then he is one of mine.

Yorkie.

Got to agree Yorkie, just finished "To ride, shoot straight and speak the truth" for the umpteenth time. Was lucky enough to meet him in the early '80s. I'm 50 this year too and yes we are allowed a hero.

Try one, you might like it.

I quite like the look of this: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Models

Chuck a red dot on board...or use a proper scope on the main part of the action.
Apparently, the short barrel in 308's not as bad as you might think (I'd not try it with a 220 Swift!).
I quite like the look of the Marlin's in 45-70 and a chopped down barrel plus a Picatinny rail!

Last edited:
Got to agree Yorkie, just finished "To ride, shoot straight and speak the truth" for the umpteenth time. Was lucky enough to meet him in the early '80s. I'm 50 this year too and yes we are allowed a hero.

You met Jeff Cooper? I am very envious. You are going to make it worse now by saying you did the Pistol Course at Gunsite Ranch aren't you? I first came across him in the 80s when i was into Pistol Shooting in a Big way. He had a Column in Guns and Ammo magazine. I have read To Ride Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth, also Fireworks and Another Country. Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip is excellent.
Good to come across another Cooper fan, we could do with a few more like him today.:D

Yorkie.

very interesting yorkie thanks, i will look into more of his publications.

i understand the benefit of carbine and bulpup rifles in a combat scenario and when it comes to air rifle and rimfires but what about legality in the UK of large cal carbines for hunting when barrel length can limit the quarry you can shoot. if i am right (and please correct me if im wrong) if your barrel is under 20" you cant go after anything larger than fox, muntjac or water deer??

Try one, you might like it.

I quite like the look of this: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Models

Chuck a red dot on board...or use a proper scope on the main part of the action.
Apparently, the short barrel in 308's not as bad as you might think (I'd not try it with a 220 Swift!).
I quite like the look of the Marlin's in 45-70 and a chopped down barrel plus a Picatinny rail!

drop the scope on the action, mod it and slide a 3 or 5 shot in it and it would be a sweet little lady for foxing from a jeep

Barrel length is not a problem for any Deer Species as long as it launches a suitable projectile at a legal energy and/or velocity.

Yorkie.

Back