Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage of FAC equipment in anothers safe

Storage of FAC equipment in anothers safe

For reasons that are not really relevant here, I am essentially in a position where I will be moving from my current residential and will be moving in with a friend for an undefined period pending acquiring a new place.

This may be only for a month or two or it may be 4 or 5. I really do not know.

My long term friend and shooting partner lives in a block of flats. He holds FAC.

His neighbour (literally next door) who is also a long term friend is where i will be staying for this indeterminate duration but is a non FAC holder.

My question is, is it possible to have my rifles put on his FAC (in the next door flat) so they can be legally stored in his safe until I find another property.

Placing them in the hands of an RFD is not practical as there are no RFD's in the immediate area and if I return home at 0300 hrs, there is nowhere secure to store.

If I press him, my friend will let me fit my safe so long as I make good but this also sames a bit unhelpful having to redecorate an entire room so everything matches especially if 4 weeks later I move out! He is a bit OCD LOL......

Getting them added temporarily seems a good idea.

I guess his FAC could be conditioned for storage only and I could also render the firearms unusable by using appropriate padlocks or trigger locks etc.

Anyone been in a similar position.

The force involved is TVP (Thames Valley). This isnt so you can slate them off, it is just so you know and have specific dealings with them re something of this nature.

Any comments appreciated
    Last edited by deerly departed; 22-04-2013 at 22:58.

Its a common situation and the police should be able to sort it for you easily.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Would it too much of a chore to give up shooting until you find new accommodation?
    It might even be an incentive t get a place of your own asap
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Getting them added temporarily seems a good idea.

I guess his FAC could be conditioned for storage only.

It depends if tvp would See storage as a good reason. I doubt it, but you never know as they all don't sing from the same sheet.

I recently stored a few rifles for a friend and received permission to do so with one quick phone call to my FEO. Fife Police.
    The condition was that I had no access to them, so we fitted his cabinet in my house for the duration.
    Although I have the same calibres on my certificate, I would have needed a variation before putting them in a cabinet to which I had access.
    I can't see any major problems whichever way you decide to do it, unless perhaps you own calibres which the police don't want your friend to have access to. You may also need to have his firearms added to your certificate if you have access to them in the same cabinet as yours.
    ​I'd just fit your cabinet if I was you. Save a few quid on variations while you're at it.

To save you alterations to certificate wording and perhaps even both of you a variation.

The police will and often do accept shared storage, all that is required is that each parties firearms are stored to prevent access by the other party. The normal accepted method is to chain and padlock each owner's firearms in the cabinet so that the other party can not gain access to them.

The only issue you may have is the number of firearms stored together and whether they require additional security at the address, that part is a lottery but if not then it should be straight forward and as mentioned just call them up and ask the hypothetical question.

Makes no difference if you have one or twenty rifles, security is the same and if you are advised by the FEO'S to upgrade the security just ask if they will pay for it.
    They tried that on with me, but I wasn't having any of it.

For the sake of a few holes in a wall (has he got the same paint as the room you intend to fit the cabinet, if he's OCD I would of thought so)
    Once you store your firearms, that's it they are stored and you will not have access to use them, because you will have informed the Police that they are in storage.
    I have moved numerous times over the last few years, rented and always covered the holes once the cabinet has been moved with no major issues, plus if you still want to go shooting makes things a lot easier.

All very sound advice in my view, it really just shows what a good informative & helpful site this is

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Would it too much of a chore to give up shooting until you find new accommodation?
    It might even be an incentive t get a place of your own asap

Wellll........I dont want to give up shooting......its my passion ............and as 90% of my permissions are pest control I think my land owners will be very impressed if I just swan off on a sebaticle of indeterminate period....