Thread: WoodfordFallow Prize Stalk

WoodfordFallow Prize Stalk

I just wanted to put pen to paper to thank Brian for the prize I took on Monday evening and Tuesday morning of this week...

To say that we saw both ends of the Devon weather spectrum really doesn't do it justice!

Monday evening, I tabbed into "Tree" seat early evening, just as the mist and fog was rolling in, and by 19:30 the rain was coming across the land horizontally right to left, and absolutely everything got soaked.

I was watching a small herd of Fallow, in the left field, and had ranged them at between 150 and 180 yards. Bread and butter shot if you can sex the b*ggers, but every time I lifted my optics, the lenses were soaked before I could spot a willy.

By now it was getting dark as well, and to then suddenly have one walk in front of me (ranged at 20.5 yards - and yes, the decimal point IS in the right place) was frustating to say the least... Couldn't see enough to sex via stubbies on the head, or the undercarriage, so had to let it carry on to munch on the rapeseed for another evening. On the tab back, Charlie went skipping up the side of the driving range, and once squeaked he turned and sat at 150yds After a major migraine for 1 nth of a second that was him done...

Tuesday morning was a complete swap for conditions... #1 Brian had been laid up with flu (get well soon mate) so the decision was made to get into a different field and sit up in "Brian's" seat. A number of deer have been taken in this field, and on the recce Monday afternoon, there were plenty of slots a poo, so I was hopeful.

The alarm at 04:00 is always rude, but to be in the field when nature wakes up around you is always a privilege. As the sun rose and the morning warmed up i was hopeful of something wandering out into a shootable position. Clear skies and clearer optics gave me confidence that a 250yd shot was quite acceptable, but no... Nothing... Zip... Nada... Bupkuss... Nowt... F'all in fact...

Other than a gang of marauding bluetits - one of whom proved that Realtree APG really DOES work by sitting on my shoulder and yelling to his mates - there was absolutely nothing about, so at 09:30 I packed up and headed back to "Tree" field to see if the Fallow were sunbathing in the rape. Unfortunately not, so into the car for 4 hours and home I came.

I would very much like to get onto that land again though, as Brian is a welcoming and thoughtful host, with 30/35,000 acres of stunning Devon countryside. I was on 15 Fallow at one point, and given the right conditions ie able to sex them, could've dropped at least a couple, so they are there aplenty. It's never a wasted trip though as I met Brian, and saw some deer. Mother Nature's had the drop on me for 10,000,000 years, and She subtly takes the p*ss sometimes, so there's nothing that I can do but smile and try again.

Brian, thank you and get well soon
    Sako 75 6.5x55 - Z6i 3-18x50. Sako 75 .308 Habicht 2.5-10x56. Beretta 690. Benelli M2.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Iain
    Very late in the year so i think it would be expected to have a few blanks now. Its been a funny old year on the Fallow and lots going on around my ground at woodford. We have not met the cull this year. This could mean some serious crop damage this summer. It would be nice to see you both again obviously very experienced and knew i could leave you to look after your selves . i went home with a dose of the flu. I could have called one of the syndicate to look after you if needed within a few minutes. The heavens realy did give you a hard time and evenings always seem to be better as its difficult to get on seat with out them seing you or a poor back stop oppertunity. Fallow do seen to know how to sit on the brow of the hill. It would be nice for you come for a stalk if your down my way again.

Ps still not been outside the house since monday
    Kind regards Brian