Deer distribution

Rake Aboot

Was having a chat with another stalker out here, and we got onto the fact that we had seen maps,(on TV) showing species distribution.

They showed Muntjac in Scotland in a couple of places, but he was as baffled as me as to if they actually exist up here. There was said to be a poulation in Fife, but I`ve never heard of it before.

Anyone any info on whether they have seen the light and moved to Nirvana. Thats Scotland obviously

This will most likely be the map that you saw: http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/about_wild_deer/muntjac.php

If you look at the SNH report "Analysis of cost of preventing establishment in Scotland of muntjac deer" (www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/publications/commissioned_reports/457.pdf) you will find on page 19 that they say that "despite being unconfirmed, reports have been made of muntjac presence in Fife, Angus and Invernessshire, which, if accurate, are extremely unlikely to have arisen through natural spread from England". So, the old migration by Astra van again.

The research they site (Ward et al, 2008) is from Deer magazine.

willie_gunn

I think these maps must include deer in zoos because they show Muntjac in Cornwall and that aint right either, unless you include zoos.

Please please send all your spare & unwanted deer to WALES!!:rofl: Muntys included as except for a few isolated pockets there are very few here.

The BDS deer distribution maps are let down by including deer kept in animal parks / collections.

​Or should I say the BDS distribution maps are let down by people submitting sightings of deer in animal parks / collections.

Was having a chat with another stalker out here, and we got onto the fact that we had seen maps,(on TV) showing species distribution.

They showed Muntjac in Scotland in a couple of places, but he was as baffled as me as to if they actually exist up here. There was said to be a poulation in Fife, but I`ve never heard of it before.

Anyone any info on whether they have seen the light and moved to Nirvana. Thats Scotland obviously

I think these maps must include deer in zoos because they show Muntjac in Cornwall and that aint right either, unless you include zoos.

The Scottish Deer Deer Centre in Cupar, Fife has a few muntjac. This could be why it shows on the map?

The Scottish Deer Centre - Animals

Cheers

Back