Catapults

weeman

Was having a rekky among-st my fishing box the other day and found my old catapult nothing fancy just a cheap one. Instantly thought of tin can alley.
Away with a selection of AAA's weight's and a rummage through the recycle bin.
Bloody hell what fun I had for 30 minutes and a great way to pass time. Next time I'm going to use a target like for zeroing and see what groups I get and with draw back further also.

​Any one else plinker away with these.

Mine needs some new elastic ,do you remember as a kid looking for catty forks ?
​Norma

I do, the tree rats are soon going to get plinked. I've never really used it with fishing weights etc.. just for scattering maggots everywhere.
I was quite surprised at how powerful they seem to be, was going through tinnyes at 5/6 meters.

I was looking at them just the other day ! Having rekindled my interest in archery it's a natural move to include the catapults of my youth (black widow)

My father always used to set aside good catty sticks - always a few hanging up in his workshop to season. I must've picked up the habit from him, because I can never chuck a good catty stick on the bonfire! Always cut them and keep them.

Stalking pheasants along the margin of the cornfields with my dad and his catapult - the golden days of my childhood!

Trouble with the youth of today no imagination cattys ,fishing,camps .my old chap even persuaded me to put pepper on a rock with the idea a rabbit would sniff the new rock inhale the pepper ,sneeze and knock its self out ! I went a couple of miles every day checking the rock lol kept me busy for a week in the holidays !

Trouble with the youth of today no imagination cattys ,fishing,camps .my old chap even persuaded me to put pepper on a rock with the idea a rabbit would sniff the new rock inhale the pepper ,sneeze and knock its self out ! I went a couple of miles every day checking the rock lol kept me busy for a week in the holidays !

Love it !! :rofl:

Bought one the other day,(exam procrastination). Need to practice with it. They are pretty hard to aim accurately.

Used it a few times already to chase the brother out of my room :lol:

And to catch partridges, you shake pepper on their tails!

very good!
I remember being told to push an old milk bottle into the snow and put bird food in the hole.
partridges lean in to get the grain and get stuck head down!
never caught one funnily enough!!

I do have an old Diablo I bought with hard earned money when a youth
lethal with ball bearings, easily hit a coke can at some distance. punches holes in 1/4" laminate!

I remember with some pals, flantening one end of some 15mm coper pipe, lighting a banger putting it inside and putting a marble in behind it.
I Fired it up the river to where a lad was fishing in the water with a net arounf 70yards away
It went like a bullet and just missed him landing in the water well beyond him
The copper tube becam instantly red hot and burnt
Crazey now i think back

I had a Milbro alluminium one, in the summer holidays it was replace elastic weekly. Kids now have Barnett ones, marbles being idea ammo (£1 bags from the Entertainer), spend all year finding marbles around the garden, surprisingly they don't shatter when they hit an old plywood door which is an ideal backstop, need some more carpet though.

D

I had a Milbro alluminium one, in the summer holidays it was replace elastic weekly. Kids now have Barnett ones, marbles being idea ammo (£1 bags from the Entertainer), spend all year finding marbles around the garden, surprisingly they don't shatter when they hit an old plywood door which is an ideal backstop, need some more carpet though.

D

Nope

Try small lead buckshot, something around .30 dia.

Elmer Keith swore by them as catapult ammo

where do you source your lead ball ammo? my local reloading place doesnt do it and the ball bearings feel too light.

I have several round ball molds, an electric lead melting pot & lots of range scrap lead

I also have some pre-cast commercial buckshot, some pre-cast factory muzzle loading round ball, etc.

Hannams sell the pre-cast factory ball, if you get stuck...

does that bring back memories you bet me and my mates spent half our early years looking for good catti sticks none of that old millbro stuff it had to just right holly or ash and 1/4" elastic and the tongue from an old boot. did we have fun you bet we used to go out after phesants and sold them for 5 bob a brace always a market come November.( I think it may be classed as poaching now) I did get an awful good hiding once for cutting the tongue out of fathers gardening boots for a new catti.

I did get an awful good hiding once for cutting the tongue out of fathers gardening boots for a new catti.

:rofl: :rofl: Just no sense of humour some parents, my old man included :lol:.

Back