Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What next .?

What next .?

Hello to the collective .

here is a picture of some 308 loads with 165 grain nosler ballistic tips at 100 yds.

The writing is the powder weight of varget.

All were good steady shot with a maybe 10 - 15 mph wind from right to left, but I tried to take shots when there was a lull.

sand bags front and rear off the tail gate of my pick up.

what are these groups telling you and which way do I go, I'm tempted to try 46 grains next and see how that groups, but am a little confused with the 44.5 grain one?.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

ime a little confused as this is not a full powder ladder ??
    start from your min powder charge and work you way up in a round robin stiyle watching for any pressure signs [and stop if you see any]
    some go up in 0.5 increments but i do 0.2
    look at this site this is how i do it to get an accurate and most importantly a STABLE load that will shoot the same point of impact in low and high temperatures
    this is only MY opinion

Hi 6.5 rem.
    Some useful info in there.

i started at 44.5 purely because all other loads I have tested in .243 and .308 have typically ended up near max loads with the best accuracy. The 45.5 grain load was producing around 2660 fps with around 25 fps variation for the 4 shots. The confusing thing was the 44.5 grain load produce two groups nearly in the same holes?

​all were 4 shots.

You chronographed one loading & got some data - did you do the same for the other two loadings?
    If so, one will have a lower spread of velocity. - I'd use that one.
    The three targets are not significantly different to use as a guide - they are all more than ok for practical stalking.
    To be certain you you'd need to shoot a larger sample for each loading.
    If they are fast enough for you it may be wisest to choose the lowest charge weight as it will be less stressful on the rifle, & give lowest recoil.
    (as long as you get good obturation & no sooting of the outside of the case.)

If 46 is within the safe loads I would. It either tighten or open up more.
    Take tightest group and make five of each, .1 and ,2 either side of it. Should be there. If barrel floated fine hope the horizontal is just a combo of wind and the truck.

Are you mainly target bashing or live quarry?

If you are target bashing then you should be able to tighten the groups with more load development as long as your rifle / marksman capabilities are up to it, but if you are loading for deer, then any of those groups would produce a dead animal with a heart shot at 100 meters, so do you realy need to tighten the groups?. No fox or deer is going to question your grouping dead is dead. Also unless you are using a custom rifle and top end reloading dies and components 0.1gr or 0.2gr incraments aren't going to make any difference, increasing by 0.5gr at a time may show some difference, but in most factory rifles, increments of 1gr working up to max seem to work well.

Sorry if I sound synical, but unless you are paper punching or shooting live quarry at extreme ranges, I'd stick to the 45.5

It's looking good. Try 45.1, 45.3, 45.5, 45.7 and 45.9 with as many or as few rounds per load as you feel appropriate. The sequence in which you shoot them is worth considering. I've recently tried round robins and variants on that. For powder weights, there's nothing magic about integers and half integers. Secondly, as a rule of thumb, whatever group size I shoot on paper, I expect the group size to double in the field when it's raining, the wind is blowing, the range is approximately known, I'm in an awkward lie, the light is poor and the deer aren't presenting exactly side on. Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 25-04-2013 at 08:13.

I would work on the 45.5 charge as that's showing promise,it would be interesting to see what FPS your getting through a chrono before increasing the powder charge,I would adjust the seating depth on that load to see if it brings it togeather.

Hi Guys.

yes some interesting stuff coming through.

the 44.5 load was producing 2625 average then 45.0 was 2640 and the 45.5 was 2660.

All three loads were within about 25 - 30 fps of each other in there respective batches.

The bullets were seated exactly 20 thou back from the lands.

​At 100 yds, i would be surprised if the wind was making that much difference with 165 grain bullets, but who knows

​Im inclined the same as JCS, so i try and get them spot on at 100 yds , then 200 yds, just so i know when in stalking mode its never going to be my ammo.

I have no pressure signs at 45.5 so will load a 46 grain batch of a few more than 4 and see, if they show promise i will take it to 200 yds and see how i get on.

Trouble is time, and soon to be drilled maize...

I would load up 25 rounds of the 45.5 load and shoot them ovr a period of time using the "Master" target idea.

No one commented that if one lays all three targets on top of one another and plotted the fall of shot then the actually make one group. Using the "Master" target idea you will end up with the "master" with all 25 shots on it and 5 targets with 5 shot groups. if this is done over a period of time ideally a few weeks at differing times of day it will give a representation of the rifle, this load and your self over that period. With the so called fliers probably falling into the whole group.