Which is the best all round Caliber

JagoPacker

Hi

I am getting mixed messages as to which is the best caliber rifle to buy for stalking.

I would like a rifle which I can use in most situations.

I have been recommended .243 as a good all rounder, but after reading more I am now thinking .308

What do you all think, I would welcome your suggestions.

Jago

Go for a 270win. Unfashionable round with many people saying it is to fierce but I notice less recoil on it when fitted with a sound mod as I experience with my .243win. Go onto gun trader as there are some bargains to be had in this calibre. It will also shoot a lot flatter than a .308.

Have a look at the thread in rifles and calibres, been done to death and if you're any wiser when you've read all those pages let me know. It all boils down to personal preference and the best advice is go out and try different calibers, rifles and see which you prefer or what suits your needs best,good luck :thumb:.

for anything in the uk, and a 'mixed bag' including targets to a good distance, except for maybe boar, the 260rem is an excellent choice, ie. for varminting, targest, roe/sika, up to and including the largest red stags.

I am planning to re-barrel my .243 sako into exactly 'that', unless I change my mind again.

Surely this can be answered in 2 steps:

1. Are you a beginner or do you have experience? If beginner, go to 2. If experienced, whatever floats your boat.

2. Do you mainly shoot roe, or do you shoot bigger things too? If roe, .243. If bigger things, .308, .270 or .30-06.

270 will do all UK stuff very well, its flat, easy to get factory ammo and easy to shoot with a moderator on it. There are plenty of rifles to choose from. It is the FC most used round by along way. If you want to go fancier and to out perform the 270 then 6.5-284 or straight 284, the only thing with both these 2 is that home loads are a must. Rifle choice is limited with these two

Go for a 270win. Unfashionable round with many people saying it is to fierce but I notice less recoil on it when fitted with a sound mod as I experience with my .243win. Go onto gun trader as there are some bargains to be had in this calibre. It will also shoot a lot flatter than a .308.

what he said

There must be a lot of wimps out there, my 270 kicks less than my 243 without a mod, it's all about fitment, best deer calibre .22 rimfire.

Taff, whilst I'm sure the .22LR has killed, and will continue to kill, more game of all sizes than any other round worldwide, our laws don't allow it. The .243 will do well, but the bigger rounds will give you more flexibility.

The .243 will kill boar if your shot placement is right, but the .270 carries a bit more energy downrange to help it get through the heavier bone if your shot is less than ideal.

I use a .243, but am thinking of upgrading to the .270, just to give a bit more flexibility for the hill stags.

Back