Just got back !

6pt-sika

I went and previewed the firearms that will be sold at public auction friday evening !

They had a couple older Marlin's that I wanted to look over and what they listed as a Steyr 243 . I had hopes that is was something in particular !

When we got there I looked the Marlin's over . One was a 444SS that was made in 1983 with Micro Groove slow twist rifling . Since I already have a fair number of them and this one was pretty well marked up I decided no bid on you !

They had a circa 1957 Marlin 336SC in 35 REM . Gun looked nice and looked to have been restocked with factory DL wood checkered the old monte carlo that was correct for the later DL wood on this model . But I wasn't really intrested having gotten rid of all my 35 dies , brass and molds a couple years back .

Then on to the "Steyr" !

The Steyr was a Steyr . But it was a Mannlicher Schoenauer also !

Nice little Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA of about 1963 or 1964 vintage in the carbine variation with 20" barrel and full length stock as what you guys call "stutzen" I believe . Gun has the old B&L Balvar 8 external focus scope on top 2 1/2-8 and crystal clear . I have three more of those scopes I might add and have used them to take deer in the last couple seasons or so .

Overall I would say finish on this one is in the 96-98% range , Don't really want to go back over there and sit tommorrow night so I left what I think wa a pretty decent absentee bid . Won't know yeah or nay until monday so time will tell !

Not yet and I've about made up my mind to go on over friday night to the auction so "if" I win it I can BRING IT HOME !

The Mannlicher Schoenauer guns from the old 50's and 60's "Shooters Bible's" are the first actual rifles that I distinctly remmember as a kid !

I reckon "if" I luck out and get this old bird I may as well kill a deer or two with a 243 again !

Got a couple boxes of Nosler 85 grain Partitions I had gotten to shoot in a Remington 722 in 244 I no longer have . Seems to me they might as well get used in this rifle if it comes to live here !

Your a sad case :D .

Although my grandfather was a game keeper dad had no interest in shooting or hunting. He like motorcycles and car and steam engines. His trade was as a machinist. In fact before joining the Royal Artillery in WW2 he was working at the Monotype Corporation on the Heavy Capstans making bits like Vickers breech blocks, Bren breech blocks.. he went back to it when it returned but ended up working in the engine reconditioning shop of the Vauxhall main dealers in Dorking. That's where he met my Mother. She worked in the office.

Unlike dad I have always had an interest in guns.

Your a sad case :D .

Although my grandfather was a game keeper dad had no interest in shooting or hunting. He like motorcycles and car and steam engines. His trade was as a machinist. In fact before joining the Royal Artillery in WW2 he was working at the Monotype Corporation on the Heavy Capstans making bits like Vickers breech blocks, Bren breech blocks.. he went back to it when it returned but ended up working in the engine reconditioning shop of the Vauxhall main dealers in Dorking. That's where he met my Mother. She worked in the office.

Unlike dad I have always had an interest in guns.

Hmmm i got it worse then all I suppose !

I've had it bad for guns since I was about 5 !

I've had it bad for steam traction engines since I was about 14 . Matter of fact I owned a pair of Frick Traction Engines for awhile !

Thats the first traction engine I ever purchased !
Bought it in 1981 about two months after I got married the first time ! I was all of 20 years old with about two pennies to rub together !
It belongs to a friend I sold it to and he allows me to drive it anytime at a show he's at !

I always liked fast cars and jacked up four wheel drives !
But didn't get into watching racing until about 1990 or so .

So as I tell some people "I found more ways then most people to waste a couple PILES of money !".

This isn't the rifle I went and looked at but a very close example with the exception of the scope !

Can't tell on the gun in the picture whether it has the safety in about the same place as a Remington 700 or the tang safety !

My older MS 308 has the safety on the side and the little 243 I put the bid on has the tang style safety .

If I ever have enough money to hunt the countries in Europe I'd like to hunt this little rifle would make me a decent enough Sika and Roe rifle and still be legal in France !

Hope you get the rifle chap ,two old school stalkers who took me under thier wing I know shoot with old mannlichers both rebarrelled and in 7x64, rifles older than me both with pecar sights when they saw my modern steyr with 8x56 s/b on they thought i was a sniper or something and why that huge great scope they said .
think one day I like to own a rifle older than me (46)
good luck
​norma

think one day I like to own a rifle older than me (46)

I'll be 52 in a few months . And I've killed a few deer with rifles easily older then myself !

Several guns from the 50's . I also killed a couple deer with Marlin's that were made in the late 1890's !

It's kinda cool when you get and old rifle like that cast the bullets for it , load the ammo , shoot the deer and process it yourself .Then at a slightly later date cook it yourself and eat it

Just got back from the auction !

I got it and for half what I had set my max bid . Which is I think about a 1/3 of what the guns worth .

Here are some pics I just took !

The scope on the gun is a Balvar 8A which is a 2.5-8x variable with external windage and elevation ajustments in the mounts .
When I got my circa 1964 Remington 700BDL 06 it came with the same mount setup and a Balfor 4A (4x) both these scopes were made by Bausch & Lomb back in the 60's !

Nice bolt!:eek:

What on earth are you on about?

​It looks to be in very nice condition. Good score.................................... well done indeed. I know of the Balvar scopes but have never seen one in the flesh so to speak.

Last edited:
Nice will you do anything to it ie the gloss Finish .
regards
​norma

No , when I'm 20-30 feet up in a tree they don't usually notice me .

Plus I can't bring myself to changing it from the way it left the factory !
Although it does have two extra holes in the reciever for the Balvar scope base .

Another one in a 270 or 280 would be awesome ;)

My prejudices on cartridges change alot when it's in an older classic like a Mannlicher Schoenauer , Mauser 66 , Pre 1975 Remington 700 or Pre Garcia Sako !

My prejudices on cartridges change alot when it's in an older classic like a Mannlicher Schoenauer , Mauser 66 , Pre 1975 Remington 700 or Pre Garcia Sako !

Ahhh you might like this then:-

39576524.jpg

​Sako on left my 7x57 BSA CF2 on the right

39576529.jpg

39576556.jpg

In .300 Win Mag. It belongs to my friend from St Louis.

Ahhh you might like this then:-

39576524.jpg

​Sako on left my 7x57 BSA CF2 on the right

39576529.jpg

39576556.jpg

In .300 Win Mag. It belongs to my friend from St Louis.

Very nice !

I've owned a few older Sako's over the years !
Two 222 mannlicher stocked , a 22-250 mannlicher stocked , pair of 243's . And for the newer ones a 7mm-08 Hunter and a 25-06 Hunter !

On a kinda side note , Bianchi made what they called "Cobra Slings" back in the early and mid 70's and I always wanted one but never did see any at a Sporting Goods Store . They were kinda pricey back then as well .

Well over the last couple years I found one by itself in great shape and picked it up for a couple dollars , And then in the last 6 weeks I bought the wife's LH 25-06 and this rifle and they both came with Bianchi Cobra Slings !

Found a couple older boxes of 6mm bullets I had on the shelf !

Speer 105 grainer and the Hornady 100 grain SP . Loaded the Hornady bullet with IMR4831 and RL-19 . Loaded the Speer with RL-19 and RL-22 .

We'll see hopefully wednesday what this old rifle will do !

To be honest it doesn't look as if it's been fired very much at all !

Classic hunting rifles are often like that. Sighted for a known load and just used for hunting. Only saw the range a few times to check sights etc.

Classic hunting rifles are often like that. Sighted for a known load and just used for hunting. Only saw the range a few times to check sights etc.

I suspect this one may have been sighted in with something like factory Remington 100 grain CoreLokt's or Whichester Power Points and left alone . But it also doesn't have any of the minute tell tale signs of being hunted . May just possibly have been sighted in with some factory load and put back in the cabinet , safe or where ever this person kept their firearms .

I was planning on going out this AM and shooting it along with some other stuff but couldn't quite get up out the bed !

Back