DSC2 passed

loosehead

The BDS courses/training department have just told me I've passed my DSC2 - excellent news. I think this evening it'll have to be muntjac steak and ribs from the small wood I've started managing the deer in, accompanied by a couple of bottles of malbec.:D

How long did you have to wait from submitting your portfolio to getting the written confirmation that you passed?

And how does that waiting time compare with the time the Police takes to issue a SGC, FAC or variation, a waiting time that is generally severely critised by the shooting organisations that represent us, and offer the DSC2 assessment? Oops that sounds almost sarcastic...;)

Erik - I sent it in about 20th March and was told, when I phoned Friday 26th April, that I'd passed. The assessment took a littler longer as one of the AW's was using an out of date list of questions and had to ask me three more. The BDS assessor was great, though, and let me know when he'd sent it for verification. I'm luck with FAC and SGC, or have been, as the NW Met area was very efficient. It has now been merged and the overall staff cut for my combined renewal this year might take longer.

Erik - I sent it in about 20th March and was told, when I phoned Friday 26th April, that I'd passed. The assessment took a littler longer as one of the AW's was using an out of date list of questions and had to ask me three more. The BDS assessor was great, though, and let me know when he'd sent it for verification. I'm luck with FAC and SGC, or have been, as the NW Met area was very efficient. It has now been merged and the overall staff cut for my combined renewal this year might take longer.

I hate to burst your bubble but you cannot fail a level 2 ,there is nothing to pass or fail ,the level two is you showing your knowledge of the theory of level one being put into practice ,covering the best practice for each element on the portfolio of which there is many interpretations of .

I hate to burst your bubble but you cannot fail a level 2 ,there is nothing to pass or fail ,the level two is you showing your knowledge of the theory of level one being put into practice ,covering the best practice for each element on the portfolio of which there is many interpretations

Surely, if you shot a deer out of season, up the ar*e with a rim fire, sawed it in half with a rusty chainsaw, jet washed the guts out and the presented it to the AW as ready to go into the food chain you would fail ?

Well done Loosehead. Am pleased to hear that your hard work and commitment has paid off.

Bob

Surely, if you shot a deer out of season, up the ar*e with a rim fire, sawed it in half with a rusty chainsaw, jet washed the guts out and the presented it to the AW as ready to go into the food chain you would fail?

Strictly speaking, no. The AW would just not sign off those Performance Criteria, whereas if you went out the next time and culled a deer perfectly those same PC's would be signed off. DSC2 is an evidence-based qualification, which is why they give you 3 years.

None of this should diminish Loosehead's efforts - well done that man :tiphat:

willie_gunn

You can't fail but you can be asked to redo things or run out of time and then have to explain why you didn't complete in three years. Not sure how many people start and then drop out or just don't make it.

Lucky I left my rusty chainsaw and chipped old axes at home! Dead right Willie - you could just go out another time with the same or another witness and do it properly. I had about ten outings as on the ground I was using the deer seem to have thinned out. Theoeretically you can do it all in one day with three stalks, clean kills and decent grallochs. Mine took 18 months because of the repeated blank stalks.

Back