Thread: Bushnell cam.

Bushnell cam.

How the hell do I work it. I got it used of eBay. Never used one before. Any advice.

Which model do you have Alan?

Cracking user guides here

Trail Cameras - User Guides

Here is one of my videos for work.

It is easy - put batteries in, put a memory card in and push the switch directly to the on position. Do not stop at the "setup" position and then move to the on position. The camera will then take photos or videos depending on how it is set up.

Some Bushnell cameras have a "time lapse" type facility and will take a photo between certain set times with a fixed delay between photos. So you can set it to take a photo very minute between 2000 and 2200 for example. If it is in this mode there should be a little clock face symbol on the display when you go into setup mode. When in this mode the camera will still trigger on motion.

If you push the switch to "setup" you can then press the "menu" button to get to see the setup options. Most of these are pretty obvious - you can probably either run the camera in video or picture mode. I find that taking 3 pictures on each trigger is probably most effective but it can be nice to have videos some times.

Be aware that I have found that aiming the camera is important - so if the sensor is aimed slightly high it will shoot above the heads of the deer whereas if it is pointed too low it will shoot into the ground and only pick up across a very narrow area. It will take you a while to get a feel for this so put the camera somewhere that gets a lot of traffic and have a play - if there are dogs or cats in your back yard then stick it out there and have a play. My best results come from pointing the camera at areas with low vegetation with the camera fixed to a tree at about knee height and carefully aimed exactly horizontally out across the ground. I think most people who get a camera come to grief with the aiming at first and start doubting that the camera is working, that certainly happened to me and I still get it wrong sometimes.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:

It is a bushnell 119435.
    Thanks for the info. Had a wee play with it. Hopefully get it to a spot the morn when checking sheep.
    Found often should you check it.
    I am looking to get a couple more. Not wanting to spend a lot. What do you prefer.
    Thanks again

That is a slightly older version of the one I have.

New models can be a lot less expensive from the USA, especially if you know someone who might buy one for you and send it as a gift to save on tax. However older models tend to reduce in price here in the UK until it makes more sense to buy them here. A UK company called cameraking seem to have very good prices but it would be a good idea to see if you could buy from an advertiser/supporter of SD just to put business their way.

The Energizer Lithium batteries are a good investment - they seem expensive but should run for a year in your camera. My experience supports Bushnell's claim of 10,000 photos on a set.

Also be aware that trail cameras are, basically, a cheap bit of plastic with some sensitive electronics inside and so when you leave them out in all weathers they do have a finite life. I think many are designed for drier conditions in the USA and so don't cope well with our very humid and wet conditions. Given that don't expect them to work for ever - you might get lucky but the average seems to be about 2 years and many people get less than that no matter what make or model they buy.

In terms of what to buy I like the newer Bushnells for their faster trigger times - yours is older and somewhat slower. For me a fast trigger is important and I would have missed a lot of photos with a slower camera so I've gone with Bushnell. Bushnell also get a good reputation for their sensor and I really don't get any false triggers. If you have big money and want the best then Reconyx have a new camera due "soon" but it will probably be in the 500 range and that is far to much money to leave strapped to a tree in my view. Beyond that the choice is to "pick one" but keep in mind you are going to strap it up a tree so it might be stolen and that it probably has an average life of 2 years or so.

In my view "low glow" infrared cameras have the potential to scare deer but it seems to very much depend on the deer. The "no glow" cameras use light further into the infrared and seem to cause less or no disturbance to the deer as they simply can't see it, however they tend to be more expensive and to have reduced flash range. Your 435 probably counts as "low glow" as does my 437. Last year's model 476 is "no glow" and might make a good value purchase. Be aware that it is physically larger than your 435 and takes up to 12 batteries.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit: