Aim Zonic Compact Moderator

Cut+Squirt

After having viewed the AimZonic {compact} moderator at the Kelso stalking fair, i'm keen to buy one . .

Prior to doing so, has anyone actually used one of these and could give me some feedback on its 'on rifle performance'

I don't much fancy spending £250.00 of my hard earned to discover that they look great but fail to perform.

Any thoughts or advice will be well received.

I'd like to know as well, as I need a couple of mods.
Also like to know how easy is it to change the threaded adaptor as it may mean I only need one mod and a couple of threaded bits.

Neil. :)

They don't seem to be any lighter than the all stainless ASE Utra SL-5, which is worrying? About the same weight as the Maxim too, and that has stainless baffles in an aluminium housing. If weight is a worry then there is still nothing to beat the CMM4 at 220g, apart from the Roedale (which is always a contentious issue).

I am looking forward to Lewis Potters series of definative tests using sound measuring equipment. I would wager there is maybe one that comes close to beating the Jet-Z, if that. Shame they are so heavy ;)

​Simon

They don't seem to be any lighter than the all stainless ASE Utra SL-5, which is worrying?

​Simon

Aim Zonic 255 grams, ASE Utra SL-5 is 390 to 430 grams, my maths says the Aim Zonic is a good bit lighter ?

Neil. :)

I would say the Scandinaviens know a thing or two about making moderators.

I would expect the compact to be about as good as most other mods on the market, sound reduction is noted as 20-23 DB.

The Predator does slightly better at 23-26DB so, all in all probably not the quietist ever but, if they perform like that then certainly not the loudest either.

I fully expect for an engineered product coming out Sweden that they will be very well made and they look to be weighted and sized to compete well with current offerings.

I'll be trying one on my .257 Weatherby Mag.

ATB
Moses

Aim Zonic 255 grams, ASE Utra SL-5 is 390 to 430 grams, my maths says the Aim Zonic is a good bit lighter ? Neil. :)

According to their advert the aimZonic plus weighs in at 310g, which is what I was working on, but their compact does weigh 255g, so I apologise for my confusion. I was also thinking about the retro-fitting to an over barrel moderator which they offer, with no weights.

S.

Flytie. You mention definative tests by Lewis Potter. Do you know where or perhaps when this is due? ​Steve

Lewis is working on them as we write, he is writing up his terst results. As with anything he does it will be done well, all be it at his own pace. I too am waiting with great anticipation.

​Simon

According to their advert the aimZonic plus weighs in at 310g, which is what I was working on, but their compact does weigh 255g, so I apologise for my confusion. I was also thinking about the retro-fitting to an over barrel moderator which they offer, with no weights.

S.

Lewis is working on them as we write, he is writing up his terst results. As with anything he does it will be done well, all be it at his own pace. I too am waiting with great anticipation.

​Simon

I may well just hang fire until I read the results of this test . . .it seems that although quite a few people have seen the AimZonic, very few have actually used one. I have a friend who spend a wad of loot on an A-TEC recently and he was unimpressed to say the least. . . I don't want to make the same mistake.

Last edited:
Was it the maxim or the cmm atec he wasn't happy with? I'm planjing on getting a maxim when my ticket comes bback.

Novice

Was it the maxim or the cmm atec he wasn't happy with? I'm planjing on getting a maxim when my ticket comes bback.

Novice

It was the CMM mate . . .by all reports quite a number of them are being returned due to severe gas cutting.

It was the CMM mate . . .by all reports quite a number of them are being returned due to severe gas cutting.

The Roedale moderator (puts tin hat firmly on) can be fitted with stainless steel baffles, as it is modular like the CMM. When I bought one I had two stainless baffles fitted in the first two positions, and had no gas cutting at all, even with range sessions. It was the same weight with stainless baffles as an all aluminium CMM4.

I will admit that I sold the Roedale moderator with a rifle and have not bought one since, having played with a Lawrence Titanium, a Jet-Z and an SL5. Of these three the Jet-Z was by far the quietest and the heaviest, there was little to choose between the SL5 and the Lawrence in terms of performance but you can by 2 SL5's for the price of a Lawrence and have a £100 change, at least!

I know several people with CMM4's who are very happy with them, no gas cutting! But they do not use their rifles for range work, only for zeroing and deer stalking.

​Simon

Back