Glass bedding a Howa 1500 into a Bell & Carlson stock

DCG

Hi all I've just acquired a Bell & Carlson stock ( thats the one with the aluminium bedding block) for my Howa 1500. The intention is to bed it with Devcon, have any of you guys any experience of either doing this or having it done on this rifle / stock combination, I'm particularly interested in receiving advice on how to treat the recoil lug and bedding bloc, do you try to maintain a metal to metal fit or cover it all in bedding compound.
Dcg

Hi all I've just acquired a Bell & Carlson stock ( thats the one with the aluminium bedding block) for my Howa 1500. The intention is to bed it with Devcon, have any of you guys any experience of either doing this or having it done on this rifle / stock combination, I'm particularly interested in receiving advice on how to treat the recoil lug and bedding bloc, do you try to maintain a metal to metal fit or cover it all in bedding compound.
Dcg

Why would you want and aluminum "bedding block" if you are going to glass over it?? Metal to metal unless you are getting side-to-side shift.~Muir

My thoughts are that the devcon bedding fills in any missing points of contact for the action.
Equally though, a 'skim' of bedding in the slight recesses wont really do a 'proper' job imho. I would say treat it like a normal bedding job leaving pillars in place and take away 2-3mm of alloy block and of your stock, to ensure eveything sits square and plumb in your stock, stress free.
Or, just torque it down in your stock, not doing anything at all and go out and shoot it and enjoy it.

Regards,
DMD

Macmillan A3 bedded for Howa

Suggest that if the ally recoil area isnt in contact with your action, you will need to have it bedded to get the best from the rifle.

All rifles, even V block (AICS, Bell and Carlson, HS Precision etc), respond well to being bedded

Why would you want and aluminum "bedding block" if you are going to glass over it?? Metal to metal unless you are getting side-to-side shift.~Muir
Hi Muir,
Yes side to side shift was one of the things I was trying to eliminate, I was wondering wether to glass just the sides of the action recess to eliminate this. I know from previous posts that you will be familiar with the Howa action, the other area that's causing me some concern is the bottom of the recoil lug which does not sit on the bottom of the bedding block, as you know the forward action screw threads into this area, my thinking is that this area of the bedding block should be the part that's acting as the "pillar", at the moment torquing it down will put stress on the action. Which part of the action do you think should be sitting on the bedding block.

Hi Andy
Thanks for posting that. I checked the metal to metal fit with some plastigauge strips which I had left over from an engine rebuild, it was patchy to say the least and the bottom of the recoil lug doesn't touch the block at all.
I'm still waiting to get my moderator back, but the Tikka's shooting fine with the old one, the groups a lot more consistent . I'll let you know the results once I've carried out a new load development.
dcg

Metal filled epoxy has a higher e-module, higher thermal conductivity and better dampening properties than air.
That's why it is better to bed and fill the gaps.
edi

Back