Melanistic (black) Fallow deer?

Adamant

How unusual are melanistic Fallow?

I only ask because I've got a group of 8-10 hanging around on one of my permissions, of which five does and the buck are definite melanistics, and the remainder are still darker than normal. My son and I sat and watched them today on rape stubble at around 7pm from the truck, at a range of 450-500yds (I've promised Gadget the buck when he comes up for the Midland, so no shooting).

The buck doesn't have a particularly impressive head and hasn't shed all his velvet yet. Black fallow are fairly common around here (my first fallow buck was a melanistic) but I've never seen a group of them as large as this before.

Adam.

Adam
you may find that the black fallow is the most common colour of wild fallow of all
but i guess you are in the staffordshire area as they are pretty common in these parts
ATB

adam before we come back from scotland next weekend it sounds like we will need to zero the rifles for a bit more than 150yds :eek: ,or have you got a cunning plan mate :evil: :evil: :evil: .

Gadget

stone said:
Adam
you may find that the black fallow is the most common colour of wild fallow of all
but i guess you are in the staffordshire area as they are pretty common in these parts
ATB

Stone - I'm in deepest west Herefordshire.

Interestingly, the melanistics are more common in one section of my permissions than another. 7-8 miles north near the Shropshire border, the Fallow are all bog standard common colouring.

I've had this little patch of land (100 acres) for a year but have only seen Roe on there until this week. I'd seen the odd Fallow slot but no actual sightings until I was chasing a fox there last week and ran the lamp over the current group (I'd got to the third one before I realised I hadn't run into a herd of foxes)...

Adam.

gadget said:
adam before we come back from scotland next weekend it sounds like we will need to zero the rifles for a bit more than 150yds :eek: ,or have you got a cunning plan mate :evil: :evil: :evil: .

Gadget

A man of your calibre and experience won't hesitate at a 500yd shot (head of course) :lol: :lol: :eek: .

No mate, I haven't really tried to stalk into them yet but there's plenty of ways in out of clear sight, although 200s probably your closest chance. The buck's got a pretty poor rack but he's a good size and black as Egypt's night, so will make a nice rug for the caravan in Scotland ;)

Adam.

Mostly seen black fallow on one of my perms, was out this morning and we bumped a group a 3 prickets. 2 of which were black.
Only about 7 miles further west than you Adamant

Jonathon

we will get plenty of practice next weekend on them stags mate tom's got two good heads picked out for use:D as long as you don't mind helping him cull some numbers i told him i think i can twist your arm so bring some ammo and a good sharp knife ;)
gadget. P.S

BDS stalking rules only ( EAR, EAR ) :lol: :lol: :evil:

BDS rules? Damn, I've just bought some throwing knives and a string for the crossbow!

HOPE YOU HAVE FIXED THE FENCES AROUND MY BLACK BUCKS FEILD DON'T WANT HIM GETTING OUT BEFORE I COME OVER . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back