Summer evening rewward

fcp

The first truly great evening of summer for me last night. Temperature, wind right.. got away from the office in time and arrived relaxed at one of my blocks in East Hampshire relaxed and focused.

Rewarded with a couple of bucks. A very beaten spiker early on in the evening and then this guy at last light just as I was making my way back to my vehicle.

I spotted him just as I came up over the top of a rise with his back to me browsing in the middle of the meadow below the hangar that runs along the west of the land.

As I set my sticks he turned, saw me and mistook me for another buck in the evening light.. came in like a train from about 100 to 40 yards, stopped momentarily, slightly quartering, Through the heart and out bottom right shoulder. Dead on his feet but still ran 30 yards and jumped a 4' fence. Dropped just the other side (all on my block fortunately!).

Of the 4 I have shot on this block since April, all but the spiker have been large animals; very pleased with this guy though @ 35lbs empty. Makes the winter worthwhile :)

IMAG0508.jpg

Though I do keep them, I'm not out for trophies and so am not too expert on it. My guess is that it will make comfortably bronze>silver. Only thing that let's it down is lack of outstanding pearling really, but the size and symmetry might make up for that. I always do wonder how much better an animal might have got - my guess at age is 5 or so I'd be interested to know what others think. There will be a lot of his offspring around though so whatever he had will still be around.

When all is said and done, I'll be pleased to have him in my freezer and on my wall as a reminder of a great night.

Back