Lord Plunket

6pt-sika

We have a "Charles Hellis" 16 bore at our shop . Cased etc and it supposedly belonged to Lord Plunket . I googled him etc and read his biography of sorts . The fellow that brought it in has something to do with the J Roberts Company , anyway he claims Plunket had a colorfull past with the Queen is there any merit to this or just BS ?

Rumour speculation and innuendo. You will have to wait another 100 years of so to find out because the truth will out as always eventually. That is if there really are any skeletons in the cupboard. It makes a great story though doesn’t it, especially if you are trying to sell a gun. Hellis is not a bad make and should sell on its own merits without the need to salt or should that be pepper the ground.

Rumour speculation and innuendo. You will have to wait another 100 years of so to find out because the truth will out as always eventually. That is if there really are any skeletons in the cupboard. It makes a great story though doesn’t it, especially if you are trying to sell a gun. Hellis is not a bad make and should sell on its own merits without the need to salt or should that be pepper the ground.

Well the gun and case are inscribed to him !

The customer had this gun as well as several others for sale at the "Southern Side by Side" last weekend in Sanford North Carolina .

He brought us this Hellis as well as a 20 bore J&W Tolley , a pair of 12 bore Greeners (tang safety) and something I'd never seen before , a single barrel Holland and Holland 16 bore !

Yes I'm not doubting that the Hellis was originaly owned by the gent, I was refering to the rumours associated with the guy and the royals. Is it possible that the 16 bore single barrel H&H started out chambered as something else, or has it always been a 16 bore?

Yes I'm not doubting that the Hellis was originaly owned by the gent, I was refering to the rumours associated with the guy and the royals. Is it possible that the 16 bore single barrel H&H started out chambered as something else, or has it always been a 16 bore?

It "appears" to have been a 16 it's entire life . I would best describe it as what you guys call a forager shotgun I suppose . And to be honest I was not aware H&H made any such thing . I had assumed they made single barrel trap guns at some point although I had never seen one . Had seen a couple Purdey single trap guns so I assumed H&H did as well . I wouldn't mind having the little H&H just because it's kinda neat except for the fact that the seller wants $3000 or about 1900 pounds .

The Hellis intrests me not because it belonged to Plunket but rather it is a nice handling 16 and the price isn't to terrible at $2750 or about 1700 pounds cased with the acces !

But then I already have 16's in a Parker GH , Fox AE , Kerner , 2 drillings and a Remington 48 skeet . So I'm kinda flush for 16's at the moment .

Back