New rifle 308

V 90 mud

Right chaps in getting a new rifle tika t3 super varmint ! So need your experience on which ammo will do the best Job on large woodland reds ???? Any info greatly appreciated both factory and reloads ESP bullet weights ???? Cheers David

hornady 150sst bullet / OAL 2.820 /45 grains vit 150 powder/ federal magnum primer

they wont like that

170 - 180grn partitions will do a great job if your twist rate works.
Slow and heavy for shots at closer range through bush is the way to go. Puts animals down fast with little meat damage.
Also look at Barnes and Norma Oryx

​Trucraft.

I've recently started using 150 grain Nosler Partitions in my 308W. Almost all of the deer I shoot are sika in forestry and they have a reputation for running but the Partition is the only bullet I've used that sometimes puts them straight down. I've only shot one red, a hind with them, and she went down so fast the stalker thought I'd shot her in the head. I'm shooting the Partitions at about 2700fps.

The 150 grain Federal Power Shok factory ammo also worked well for me but didn't put them down as well as the home loaded Partitions.

My "old" deer load was a 150 grain Hornady Spire Point at 3000fps. Despite moving along, being very accurate and always getting an exit these never put sika straight down, though they always killed anything I shot with them and I would consider that they performed well.

In the end almost any reasonable 308 deer load is going to kill even the biggest red stag unless you mess up on the aiming and if you ask 100 people you will get 100 answers so you just need to find what you have confidence in. I think confidence is a much bigger factor than anything else so given that it is worth going with your "gut feeling" on what you think will work best. I have confidence in the Partitions and they work well for me but if you don't fancy them then don't even bother with them and go with whatever it is that does take your fancy.

I know didn't ask for this comment, but a varmint style rifle is a poor choice for a woodland rifle.

​You really should re think that decision.

I know didn't ask for this comment, but a varmint style rifle is a poor choice for a woodland rifle.

​You really should re think that decision.

Is that on account of the weight, Brian, or other factors? I m interested because I am limbering up to buy a .308 and barrel choice is something I am agonising over. Sure you don't need heat dissipation to be optimised in deerstalking, but then I read heavy and short = more accurate, and then what if I decide I want to do lots of range work?

2 p worth
308 T3 tack same barrel 1x18 screwcut +mod is one V HEAVY rifle unless you are popeye i would re-think it for stakling
i had the above as a range gun very good
but i have asako 85 ss for stalking

I shoot sako 85 laminated stainless varmint which should have similar barrels. It likes 150gr Hrnady SST with vit N140 43.5gr and standard CCI primers. I use a comparator so COAL is 2.195 which is 40 thou off the lands. Sub 0.5 inch groups at 100yds, set at 1 inch up at 100yds have point blank shooting out to 200yds where the drop is only 2.2 inches.

hope this helps

​BE

Is that on account of the weight, Brian, or other factors? I m interested because I am limbering up to buy a .308 and barrel choice is something I am agonising over. Sure you don't need heat dissipation to be optimised in deerstalking, but then I read heavy and short = more accurate, and then what if I decide I want to do lots of range work?

Lotus Eater, short and heavy generally does mean accurate, but short and light can be just as accurate.

Varmint rifles tend to be long and heavy, and a moderator makes them even longer and heavier. A woodland rifle needs to be short, easy and quick to handle and bring into to action from slung over your shoulder.

I think a lot of us have lost sight of the idea of "handiness" a poor description, but I would want a woodland rifle to handle as much like a nice shotgun as possible - this means as compact as possible with a very light moderator.

If you decide you want to do lots of range work, then one rifle is a compromise, make the compromise based on what aspect will be most frequently used - range or woods. If it is the range, then short and heavy may be the answer for you.

Thanks for that Brian. I shall be stalking in lowlands and occasional foray to the Highlands. Will get a suitable rifle for that, and buy a range rifle later if really needed.

​Adrian

Lotuseater,
I recently tested my light driven game gun at 400m. Rifle has a light 20" 308 barrel and weighs 6.6lbs without scope.
She also shot fairly well at a 300yd comp. Trigger is the original mil spec from around 1909 -1920.
These were shot off a bipod in a field. 13mph wind.

400m308argentinomauser_zpse5c3eb86.jpg

edi

Last edited:
Adrian, only posted to show that for hunting up to 300m you would not need any long or heavy barrel in 308.
edi

Right chaps in getting a new rifle tika t3 super varmint ! So need your experience on which ammo will do the best Job on large woodland reds ???? Any info greatly appreciated both factory and reloads ESP bullet weights ???? Cheers David

Hi David
150 grn Sako Supper Hammerhead factory ammo i one holed three rounds with my friends .308 at 100yds. Sierra Gamekings and Pro Hunters in 150grn also perform well with Vhit N140 powder.

I also use these in my 30-06 with fantastic results.

Kind regards Jimbo

Last edited:
or if you use barnes bullets for reloading 150 gr tsx bt with H 4895 46 grains giving about 2850 fps works well in my tikka T3

Cheers chaps for the info on bullet weights etc . Re rifle I have a purpose made 6.5 47 lapua them my blueprinted action jewel trigger 20 inch fluted barrel , manners stock etc etc , I had this made ESP for this job !!! My red permission is 500 acre of prime grassland which runs along a large forest boundary , the reds feed on this grassland like locust and this land does not involve any stalking in and amongst the forest walls abit of gorse and the odd pile of boulders maybe . Also I regularly shoot on the range at 500 yards so have chosen a multi purpose rifle !!! Re the bit of extra weight point taken but doesn't really concern me . Thanks again for the info gents

Back