Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .17hmr cleaning

.17hmr cleaning

just woundering if any one else finds, when the clean the .17hmr barrel, i use the brush and then the mop, but they are very tight and i have to use a lot of force to push them through.
    is this normal or should i try getting som different brushes and mops??

They're a fricken nightmare to clean - I use "wipe out" patch out and accelerator with a pull through and no brushes or rods. Then a patch with methylated spirit to remove residue, then loads of dry patches until they come out completely dry.

yeah its very tight, wasnt sure if it was just me. are different make brushes/mops any better.
    im i best using a pull through
    Last edited by simon1979; 05-05-2013 at 22:40.

I've not found a decent rod, but any thinner and they'd be too weak. I've got an awesome plastic coated wire pull through I got with a small bore cleaning kit off eBay.

I'd get a good pull through if I were you, along with some good cleaning fluid and meth spirit.

which one did you get off ebay, think i will get one. the rod just to tight

I used to use a Pro Shot rod and jag along with the proper size patches and a nylon brush.
    Yes it is tight, but a bore guide will support the rod, if the patch isn't tight it won't do it's job properly.
    I must have been doing something right, I sold the hmr with over 13K rounds down it and it still shot
    tiny little groupsm ammo quality allowing, the ammo reliability being the reason for selling.

I use wipe out-patch out on a nylon brush with a bore guide, and then clean out with patches on a pull through. I do that every few hundred rounds and use a bore snake with a crown protector every fifty or so.

which bore snake do you use, as is a crown protector the same as a bore protector

Quote Originally Posted by simon1979 View Post
    which bore snake do you use, as is a crown protector the same as a bore protector
    I use the original hoppes bore snake and I lathe crown protectors which are really just extended 2" thread protectors with a hole the same size as the calibre, this stops the cord from damaging the rifles crown.

I clean mine with VMax

​very fast