Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Becoming an Approved Witness for DSC L2

Becoming an Approved Witness for DSC L2

I have been thinking about the possibility of becoming an approved witness. I made an initial enquiry with Peter Marshall of BASC and received a helpful response from Peter and his colleague, but have taken it no further at present. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

I am a recreational (but regular) stalker and have as much stalking opportunity as I would wish for and can cope with. I have no interest in other's stalking ground.

I would not be offering stalking, so anyone that I witnessed for, would need to provide the ground etc. I would not make a charge other than for diesel and my motivation would be simply to help those who wish to achieve DSC Level 2.

I was very fortunate in the support I received in the past and thought this may be a way of helping others ?

I would appreciate it if those members who have knowledge and experience of becoming (and maintaining the status of) an approved witness, could comment and advise please. Do most candidates need to have the day's stalking provided etc. ? Do you think that there would be much take up, bearing in mind that I live near Peterborough, which is not exactly the stalking capital of the UK ?

Uncle Norm,I think you know that two of us at least would take you up on witnessing- although it might reduce the banter on Saturday mornings!

From my experience most candidates don't have their own ground uncle norm. It's also true to say that there are many AW's that don't have access to ground that they could take candidates out on too. The system needs both to make it viable and available to all.

I would echo what Prometheus has written. Many canidiates do not have access to their own ground, in fact I have personally never witnessed anyone on their own ground yet.

You would need to make sure that you are available to attend any further meetings after your initial consultation to become an AW, and you will also need two referees who are AW's.

It can and is very rewarding work, although it is suprising how many people put in for their Level 2 without the appropraite experience and knowledge.

All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to

yes i have been thinking of going down that route of becoming an approved witness, do you need two witnesses to recommend you first? also can you still do the day course with David Stretton for guidance on filling in the forms correctly? look forward to more replies and any info greatly received

is there a form or applicaion you have to fill in or send up? and where are these odtained from DMQ? basc? thanks Dean

There is a whole host of information and required forms and guidance in the witnesses download section of the DMQ website here:

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    It can and is very rewarding work, although it is surprising how many people put in for their Level 2 without the appropriate experience and knowledge.
    I don't think it's surprising at all. When people are paying ITRO 100+ per stalk then getting enough experience is going to cost a lot of money. It's therefore only natural that people are going to go for it sooner rather than later. After all, what have they got to lose? If the AW turns it into a lesson as they should then the candidate gains additional experience and knowledge. If they fail to meet the standard in an area the AW is sure to put them right and they get at least some of an ICR signed off. It might all go well and the whole ICR is signed off. Nothing lost only gains and often for the same money as the stalk would have cost them anyway! That's how I see it anyway!

thanks for the link MS, downloading the forms now but it seams to be taking ages

I don't think enough emphasis is given on the DSC 1 course as a 'look forward' to DSC 2. I know it is briefly discussed on the BDS course and it states at the very back of the manual that
    Enrolment for DSC 2 should only be considered when a student has gained some experience in stalking, shooting and dealing with carcasses. It also suggests that students are advised to gain experience with at least 6 carcasses prior to considering DSC 2. I also had a student who had done his DSC 1 training with another major provider who said he was advised to register for DSC 2 straight away and assumed that his next three subsequent stalks would suffice for DSC 2!
    It is very difficult to quantify when a student is ready though as merely going out and shooting 6 deer may well be 'experience', but it might not impart the required standards or knowledge which would be gained by shooting the same 6 deer in the company of an AW or similarly experienced guide.
    An awful lot of first DSC 2 stalks undoubtedly turn into a training session with an AW as Baguio has suggested above. However, nothing is lost as it is time well spent. It may also suggest that a 'mock' trip out with an experienced stalker is the way forward for those who maybe uncertain of their ability?
    I have recently filmed several succesful DSC 2 stalks and may look at releasing footage as a guide to those looking to go down that route.