Do beards help?

nun_hunter

A nice lighthearted thread for a change.

I am currently growing a beard through a combination of laziness, boredom, lack of time, can't afford a razor etc but I am having trouble justifying it to the missus. The only "good" reason I've managed so far is "the deer will find it harder to spot me" (going on the logic that people wear face masks for camoflauge) but I'm not really sure this carries any weight so I need the members of SD to either back up my outlandish claim with tales of successful bearded hunters or suggest any other good reason for a beard.

I look forward to the range of replies:D

Apart from the ticks these are all brilliant reasons for keeping the beard, however, I feel my fiancé will see all of these as negatives. I do like the idea of hiding a Harley shooting my home loaded black powder rifle though!

My beard used to work when it was dark brown - No use for camo now since it went grey! - Back to using a mask now in anything like daylight - Also need to wear a cap!

​Ian

Lets just say its idleness and bearded men love eating food twice. Grew one once, it felt disgusting itched like hell and just did not feel remotely hygenic.Wear a veil and be a man, think of your poor lady having to put up with this bit of rough. My fiancee at the time now my wife for many years soon put me right. Shoot me down you cavemen before the wife shoots you. :lol:
John.

Meet the mrs halfway and have a goatee,short beard could be designer stubble,I've had many a beard but in the designer category,never suffered with the itching that a lot do,probaly due to only shaving once a week at best,probaly only used a razor 2 times in the last 10 years,just clipper off

Shaving is and always has been over rated. It's not only a total waste of time but it also costs money. Scissors used to trim the beard last forever unlike razor blades.

I grew side boards/burns at school and they have NEVER been shaved, likewise the moustache. The full beard came about 3 years later and apart for the few years working for Mothers Pride it too have never been shaved. Even at Mothers pride I just put a razor through the middle leaving the BIG side boards/burns.

​If you want to grow one do so. Your domestic issues are nothing to do with me or anyone else outside of your household.

Oh I like the idea of a goaty. Maybe if I get a goaty I can get the wife to have a Brazilian

or just buy a straight razor and not spend a huge amount on a fashionable throw away razor.
I do have growth when out for stalking but the mrs gets to a point and asks if i will have a shave.

I've wondered about this. Had a beard more or less continuously since I was 19.

Recently had a beard trimmer malfunction, and had to shave the whole thing off (very upsetting). The deer do not seem to have noticed. The wife almost demanded that I sleep in the spare bed ('I'm not sharing a bed with a twelve year old!').

By biggest issue is the gleaming expanse of shiny hairless head. Now that *really* makes a difference if I don't cover it.

A nice lighthearted thread for a change.

I am currently growing a beard through a combination of laziness, boredom, lack of time, can't afford a razor etc but I am having trouble justifying it to the missus. The only "good" reason I've managed so far is "the deer will find it harder to spot me" (going on the logic that people wear face masks for camoflauge) but I'm not really sure this carries any weight so I need the members of SD to either back up my outlandish claim with tales of successful bearded hunters or suggest any other good reason for a beard.

I look forward to the range of replies:D

Never had a 'proper' beard, but always seem more successful when its been a few days since my last shave!?

If you can grow a beard as well as those guys on Duck Dynasty, and wear the appropriate shades.................... you could be the first East Sussex Red Neck :lol:

I was never allowed to grow a beard because of work but if I am going stalking I never shave because in my mind the little bit of stubble takes some of the shine off the face.
It’s now become a ritual with me and something that I am a little superstitious about.

Back