I think this recipe is originally a Lebanese recipe for mutton but I tried it on a spare Roe haunch at the weekend and it's superb.

1 x roe haunch (2-3kg)

5-6 red chillies (the big mild ones are what you want - I suspect 5-6 of the small bird eye or scotch bonnet chillies might well be a lethal does!).

1.5 tablespoons of cumin seeds

1 whole bulb of garlic (peeled)

1.5 tablespoons of flaked maldon sea-salt

7 tablespoons of light olive oil or groundnut oil

Blitz the whole chillies, cumin seeds, garlic, sea salt and olive oil in a blender or in a pestle and mortar until it's a smoothish paste.

Use a small knife to stab 10 or 15 slits in the top of the haunch, put the venison in a roasting tray, then smear the paste all over the meat, working some into the cuts.

Make sure the bulk of the past is smeared on to the top of the haunch. Cover with cling film and leave the meat to marinate for a few hours or in the fridge overnight.

Roast for 25 to 30 minutes a kilo if you like your venison pink, then rest for 15 minutes.

I roasted mine on a meat trivet, over a pile of carrots sliced lengthways and small peeled onions, covered with a pint of water mixed with 5 tablespoons of honey, 5 tablespoons of good olive oil, some fresh rosemary and a good dose of salt and black pepper. The vegetables absorb the meat juices and leave a fantastic sweetened gravy for the venison.