NZ customs

reload

Hi all,

Just a quick 1. A mate of mine is over from New Zealand and would like to take home with him the cleaned and bleached head of a Roe buck he shot. He is unsure if he will be allowed to take it through customs, as they have very tight rules about animal parts. I thought they would gas it or something similar.

Does anyone know for sure what the rules are in NZ? Or has anyone dealt with this issue before?

Regards Marty

hi mate i did exactly this .spoke to customs on the way in and explained what i wanted to do and they said it was fine. I had in my luggage a ten point red stag although i cut the antlers off the scull to go back on at home ,two tahr and a chamois all was fine although when they went through the scanners the lady reversed the rucksack and asked if i was carrying a head and i explained that i had four she laughed,
the worry for me was hong kong as i thaught they might yoink them for thier own use but again all was good,atb wayne

sorry mate i am at work and didnt read properly ,i would ring to ask as getting things in are more tricky, atb wayne

If you declare it it will be fine. Make sure there is no meat or any material left on the skull and you need to make a declaration that is has been boiled and treated in chemicals. Also have the latin and common name to hand and to be prudent maybe even a photocopy or printout from a book to show the species!

As long as it is not a biosecurity risk due to not being clean and is not a protected species, which roe aren't you will be fine. But do declare it on the way in.

If you declare it it will be fine. Make sure there is no meat or any material left on the skull and you need to make a declaration that is has been boiled and treated in chemicals. Also have the latin and common name to hand and to be prudent maybe even a photocopy or printout from a book to show the species!

As long as it is not a biosecurity risk due to not being clean and is not a protected species, which roe aren't you will be fine. But do declare it on the way in.

Thanks stalker.308, that sounds like good news.

I'll get all that sorted, then send my mate home to NZ with his trophy head. He will be pleased.

When I was there backpacking they went right through all our gear, they took our camping gear and tested then treated it. Just in case it had any bugs/bacteria in /on it.

Marty

A new member on here, Roaringstag, shot afew Roe with me here last summer. He took five Roe heads and a muntjac back to NZ. He wrote a declaration stating that they were taken legally (I countersigned this and gave my details), the common and latin names, and that they had been treated. We cleaned them up ourselves and peroxided the skulls. Customs in NZ gave them a very thorough inspection and eventually let them through.

Just make sure that there is no meat and no hair or any organic material still attatched to the skull or antlers. They really don't like hair in the pearling.
That said, the worst that will happen if they're not happy with the skull is they will keep it, fumigate it for a small charge, then forward it onto your friend.
Send a PM to Roaringstag if you want any details

A friend of mine came over last year from NZ.I posted his trophys over to him after i had cleaned them up (goat,Roe ,Muntjac,heads and some capes).They all went through no problem,keep the weight of each parcel under 2kg .It is cheaper to send 2 parcels than 1 big one i think the cost was £25 per parcel.

Gary

Thanks for your advise fella's. He leaves tomorrow with his boiled and bleached Roe head.

Back