Wilderness week

AJWH

Hi Guys,

I'm planning a sort of wilderness week with two mates this summer on my forest syndicate ground in Perthshire. The aim is to camp up and shoot/fish our meat for the week; foraging for firewood, swimming in the lake etc... giving reign to our instinctive Bear Grylls skills. If anyone has any tips from their experience to do with taking venison from field to pot in the field, campfire cooking or any other cool ideas, would you mind sharing them?

Any advice much appreciated!

Kind Regards,
AJWH

Hi AJWH
Check any/all backcountry elkhunting sites in the US; there is a world of info. I know it's a b**hunting site but www.bowsite.com has some excellent threads on their Elk forum, and I'm sure you will some useful postings. www.elk101.com is more specifically aimed at elk (does what it says on the tin and all that) both rifle- and [predominantly] b**hunting.
Be sure and post some photos; hunting vicariously via t'interweb gives all of us stuck in a office some breath of virtual fresh air
Good luck
Kenneth

i do this abit and the new ground i am on will be even better as its on the coast so will have shelfish and fish to go with the venison . Heres my camp

how far do you want to go with it i take a dutch oven and a suspended fire so i dont damage the ground or start fires.

if you dont go that far just take a small barbi heres one i made for my griddle

heres a nice lobster thermadore done on the tripod

if you are on forestry ground you cant have a fire on the ground it must be contained and safe but common sence really.
as for cooking i used to do the offal for a big breakfast and whip out the backstraps for a nice sandwich and i always took the rod for abit of fly fishing on one of the lochs for a nice brownie, atb wayne ps post how you get on .

Water is the most important, clean water, nothing quicker for giving you the shxx , either take bottled or a purifier,

Quality photo's Wayne, looks like you had a feast going there!

We sometimes do it whilst Salmon fishing, camp out for the week at the river and catch most of our food, fresh Seatrout done in the pan for breakfast is my favourite.

ATB

Bryan

Wow Wayne!
That looks funtastic!
​Your guests must be very pleased with a campsite and dinner like this!

Hi AJWH
Check any/all backcountry elkhunting sites in the US; there is a world of info. I know it's a b**hunting site but www.bowsite.com has some excellent threads on their Elk forum, and I'm sure you will some useful postings. www.elk101.com is more specifically aimed at elk (does what it says on the tin and all that) both rifle- and [predominantly] b**hunting.
Be sure and post some photos; hunting vicariously via t'interweb gives all of us stuck in a office some breath of virtual fresh air
Good luck
Kenneth

Thanks Kenneth i'll have a good look through those sites. For sure, i've got a waterproof case for my canon now so not afraid to take it in the boat on the lake!

Cheers Private Fraser and Johno. Don't worry, we're obviously calling it Narnia and the big round wet thing will only be referred to as our refrigerator for trout and beer (the latter not being free to float around of course).

Awesome set-up Wayne. The hammocks are a great shout as is the suspended dutch oven... I definitely want to go that far.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Have a shufty at Bushcraft Uk - they are almost as argumentative as 'us'! :D

Hammock, tarp and midge net worth weight in gold and a few practise sessions setting up will have you getting a very comfy sleep system up in minutes. Takes me typically 12 minutes - but 11min 40 Secs is spent finding suitable thick and well rooted trees... :rolleyes:

Wayne - are you available for 'outside catering' :D

For the sake of fairness and clarity, I do have to report that when Jackfish refers to 'camp' he really means that the Pimms is served by a waiter that looks a bit like Dale Winton.... ;)

I do agree hammock and tarp is the way to go very comfy midge net is also a bonus unless you want to look like the elephant man,
moray it has been known to go the whole hog, cooked on cherry wood for the first hour

Thanks Moray, i'll check that out and will leave at least an hour for the setting up then..

Wayne you are hereby cordially invited to wilderness week, we'll provide the cherry wood :drool:

.25-06:
1. Nature is our B&B.
​2. No kippers in Narnia.

VSS: Cheshire are kindly providing me with my own personal armed guard for the occasion (due to arrive in 2015).

Almost forgot. If like me you are not too keen on using DEET based repellant, mix 50/50 Baby oil and Dettol. It works a treat to keep the sandflies etc away

Flies + carcass = That time of year, flyblown in fifteen minutes unless you bring a mesh deer larder for your kill/s.

Cheesecloth lies against the carcass and eggs will get laid on the outside surface, where-ever there is seepage.

Enjoy your camp, sounds great.

Rgds

Ian

Back