Ammunition costs????

TASR12

Guys,

Picked up my much debated Sauer 200 today, (photos to follow as requested) and so I now own my first rifle! Also bought 2 boxes of Federal Power Shok soft point 130 grain in .270 at £28.50 a box, is this a normal price? Does anyone have any other recommendations for rounds and suppliers in the Dorset area or is that what they cost these days. Not into homeloading yet....one step at a time. I'm going to be looking at Sika and Roe predominantly.

Cheers,

T.

Depends on where in Dorset you are?

John March in Wimborne is a .270 fan so should have a bit of choice.

Keith Forward ( Shooting Shop) is very competitive on price but may not stock .270.

Heritage Guns in Shaftesbury sell Privi for around £40 per 100.

A firend of mine has just had some Norma 140g Nosler ballistic tips sent down from Macleoads in Scotland. They cost £29 a box inc postage i think.

Tasr, I had to buy two boxes of the same Fed 130's a few months ago, price was much the same. They are horrible rounds also.

I have never tried the Prvi stuff, but if it shoots for you, you can't handload any cheaper than £40/100.

If you want to shoot quality CF ammo in the UK, you need to make it yourself.

Get those photo's up, let's see how the Sauer is doing.

I'm in Poole so John March sounds like a good bet, but I'll swing by the shooting shop on the off chance they have .270.
CD shame you're not a fan on the Fed's ..... I guess I'll be off to Wimborne to get some alternatives, still, we live and learn!
Phots will be up as soon as I can hook up my camera......
Thanks for the advice again,
T.

I use privi in .270 150gn soft points ,works fine .

I get them from an RFD in Weymouth called Tim Plover 07809775379 , price varies depending on his stock but around £40 per 100 and often he will drop them off if he is in Poole area .

Privi cases are OK to reload so hold on to them in case you decide to in the future .

Happy hunting

Tried to PM you Poole Harbour, not sure if it got through....let me know.

I seemed to have missed something but how do you upload photos?!! The 'Img' button doesn't do anything?

Cheers,

Tom.

[/img]

Hi Tom
Try this it worked for me. It was put on the forum by someone for the photographic competition.
How to upload photos
Perhaps the easiest way to display your photos on this Forum is to open an account with Photobucket. Here’s your step by step guide.

1. Save your photos on your computer
2. Log onto www.photobucket.com.
3. Click ‘Join Now’
4. Go through process of joining, it’s all FREE. You’ll have to remember your ‘Username’ and ‘Password’.
5. When you’re logged on your can upload pictures to your Photobucket album by pressing ‘Browse’ and finding the picture from your computer.
6. Then click ‘Upload’.
7. When the photo you want to enter into the competition is uploaded to Photobucket it will appear in your album, left click with your mouse on the IMG Code underneath the photo. The code should go blue. Right click the mouse and copy this code.
8. Return to The Stalking Directory, paste this code onto the page and give us a few words telling us more about your photo.
9. Job done!
ATB
Paul

Photos

After the advice and tips below are some photos (albeit not award winning ones!) of my first rifle. November DSC1 here we come....
(Is there an easier way to post photos?)

P9080018.jpg

P9080021.jpg

I'm hoping to find out early this week, looking to get a mix of rounds as well to compare results, so far just the Federals and Privis but would be keen to get something ballistic tipped.

TAS12 - I've got 100 rounds of 150gn PPU .270 rounds you can have for free if you are able to get anywhere near Herefordshire - I have found that 130gn home loads are best for me and I could do with off loading the 150s (I don't use the PPU brass for reloading).

Adam.

Terrific rifle, I have 4 Sauer 202' s and they look exactly the same.[ sorry about the sarcasm, but surely the picture is of a 202? ]

Nice looking rifle there! ;)
You've done well to get it before doing a DSC 1 course! I reckon you must have a mentor lined up and some ground to shoot on already? :confused:
Good luck.
MS :)

Suffolk stalker said:
Terrific rifle, I have 4 Sauer 202' s and they look exactly the same.[ sorry about the sarcasm, but surely the picture is of a 202? ]

No, that's a 200. Look at the rear of the bolt where the safety button would be on your 202, spot the difference??

Forend is also different.

Barrels and magazines are interchangeable between the 200 and 202.

I'm hoping to find out early this week, looking to get a mix of rounds as well to compare results, so far just the Federals and Privis but would be keen to get something ballistic tipped.

If Federal or any SP work just stick to them, whether 130gr or up to 150gr. One of my stalking team uses a .270 and we found that ballistic tips tend to blow up a bit, especially SST's. However the Nosler BT's are accurate and more solid but that is with a developed and downloaded home-load.
Ballistic tips are generally accurate but fast, furious and expensive whereas the good old Soft Points will do at least as good a job and leave you with something to eat with more money in your pocket!

Ammo costs are steep overall unless you are willing to use Privi. I do a deal when I have them in, if its £12 a box I will refund £2 on return of the empties. I do reload and Privi brass is as good as most. I have had less problems with Privi than I did with a very expensive bunch of .223 from Lapua!

Great rifle and so nice to see the bolt on the proper side of the action for a change!.
bob

Back