My 1st practice DSC1 shooting test - Fail!!

stratts

I borrowed my mate's 22-250 on Wed to have a bash at a mock shooting test, now I have the proper deer target from the BDS.

Put 3 shots into the 4" zero target ok prone after a slight zero adjustement, but forgot to take a pic!

Set up the target on a board and in position. Looks big close up!!

But it's a bit different from 100m away!! :eek:

Here's the Savage Model 110 22-250 I have on a borrowed condition with T8 mod. Bit of a heavy lump but is quite mild on the recoil front and shoots good groups with factory Federal rounds.

Now the nitty gritty!! It was proper windy and although I set the target up straight downwind, it was gusting and swirling a bit so was a little tricky. No excuse for the 1st shot though!! :confused:
1st 2 shots prone off a bipod at 100m, but the 1st shot for some reason went awol!! :doh: I mistakenly aimed a smidge high on the target anyway, momentarily forgetting the rifle is zero'd 1" high at 100yds, but the shot also seemed to fly high right. I knew it would be out of the aim point but carried on anyway. Next shot bang on the money!

2nd 2 shots off my small sticks at 70m from a sitting position, again all good.

Last 2 shots from 40m off the set of quad sticks sent to me by Limulus. I have to say these are great and give such a stable shooting position, compared to normal sticks, it's unreal!

The result - A fail because of the 1st shot (which was only just outside the ring) but I'm confident it won't happen again, although I'll still be practicing and thought I'd give it a go with the .22WMR as well to save spending a wedge on ammo!!

One question though for the masses, is it ok to perform the shooting test with the 3 different forms of rest? Or does it have to be as in field conditions as I wouldn't take the long and short sticks out stalking at the same time! If that's the case I'll need to practice the sitting shot without the small sticks as my bipod is a short one,

Cheers

Stratts

you wont shoot that target at 100mtr it will be a circle target ,the deer one is for the 75 and 25 kneeling, keep practicing though its always good to get familiar,atb wayne

you wont shoot that target at 100mtr it will be a circle target ,the deer one is for the 75 and 25 kneeling, keep practicing though its always good to get familiar,atb wayne

Hi Wayne

I did my DSC1 with Jelen last April, and we used the same target at 100yds, 70yds and 40yds - just moving forward to contact. The circle target was used for zero and "prove you can hit a cow's *rse with a banjo" purposes only...

It might have all changed in 13 months though, so happy to be wrong

Cheers
iain

Stratts

Two comments. Check with your course provider what target will be used. Secondly, just practice all the positions from a 100yds.

​Regards JCS

Has it changed ?

This is what I recall-
4. Shooting. This has 2 parts. First, the candidate must put 3 shots inside a 4 inch circle on a zero target from 100 yards. Three attempts at this are allowed in any one day. When that has been achieved, the candidate can then have 3 attempts (in any one day) to put:

• (a) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 100 yards (in any position using normal stalking aids such as rucksack or bipod);
  • (b) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 70 yards sitting or kneeling (again normal aids such as bipod or sticks may be used);
  • (c) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 40 yards standing (sticks may be used).

Fully appreciate that posters intent is to be helpful.

Position is more or less as 8x57 states above. However, in the finest traditions of the UK you will be shooting a 4 inch zeroing target at 100 metres and the other ranges are in metres as well. ;)

JCS has a very important point - the absolutely best source of information and to verify any queries is your specific course provider. They are the one who will be administering your test and best placed to steer you right for the circumstances.

In terms of 'pointers', a lot of people worry about the position on bullet impact relative to the sight line at the various ranges and the zeroing element. Many stalkers will have a zero 1-2" high at 100 yds/metres. A nice tight group edging out of that dreaded 4" circle wont get you a pass, so if the option exists, it's worth zeroing bang on at 100.

At 70/40 there is sufficient room in the kill zone that an inch or two of trajectory shift isnt worth worrying about. Those that do seem to have a far harder time estimating the right 'Kentucky Elevation' than if they just go for a centre aim.

Usually, if you are going to miss the kill zone it's with a low shot ( you trend bucker you! ;) ). As best I can figure it, this is down to the deer target shape. The chest area is deeper and viewed from a distance it can skew your perspective when trying to gauge the vertical half way line. You have a target, so worth close study/ practise through a scope to fix the location in your mind.

​Good luck.

Thanks for the advice chaps much appreciated.

You reckon my idea about using the .22wmr is ok? I know it has no real recoil, but it should help none the less. More so if I took the mod off maybe?

1. Zero rifle as stated for 100Y and nothing else.
2. Practice with rifle/scope setup you will use on the day until it comes good.
3. Practice whole course of fire at 100Y. This will give you added confidence once you've cracked it.
4. Have a couple of shots at 40Y just to satisfy yourself of the slight change in impact. Note that at the shortest distance you should be able to see your nice group with even a low mag scope so you can now use this to thread your last two test shots through the middle!
5. Use the course provider's tripod sticks if they offer the use of.
6. Scale the whole thing down and shoot with a moderated .22RF or air rifle until HPS is reached everytime. Then move to your 22-250. This might read item "1" as it is a lot cheaper.

Cheers

K
Ps: Interesting backstop!

my advice would be to practice as much as possible, one thing I did was make a replica target but half the size and shoot it at 50yds with the .22 this gives you the same sight picture as at 100yds although what it wont help with is nerves on the day, I did mine with jon Snowdon at greenlee and he was very good at keeping things nice and calm

Has it changed ?

This is what I recall-
4. Shooting. This has 2 parts. First, the candidate must put 3 shots inside a 4 inch circle on a zero target from 100 yards. Three attempts at this are allowed in any one day. When that has been achieved, the candidate can then have 3 attempts (in any one day) to put:

• (a) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 100 yards (in any position using normal stalking aids such as rucksack or bipod);
  • (b) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 70 yards sitting or kneeling (again normal aids such as bipod or sticks may be used);
  • (c) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 40 yards standing (sticks may be used).

the place i did mine it was in metres and we used a circle target at 100 mtr and then moved to the deer target at 75mtr and then 25mtr i pressumed it was all like this so if it isnt forgive me but when we had finished the whole dsc1 the target was marked down on the test form and we got the target if we wanted, atb wayne

It really is 'point and shoot'. No great need to correct anything and have rifle zeroed at 100m.

I had taken 3 shots with a CF rifle before my level one test. I had no practice and passed first time. I am a very laid back sort of person, I can see how nerves could get in the way. I did assessment only so just me and assessor - not a group of others judging me!

Don't go crazy and spend all your time worrying about it. You get 3 goes if you need it.

For the test I meant. It simply iliminates one more possible error.

Like you say it eliminates one less possible error.
I witnessed a few guys fail or come very close to failing a shooting assessment last week because they hadn't thought to adjust their zero or couldn't be bothered to prior to the test. A few red faces with that one. :oops:

As it was the first shot that went astray, was the barrel clean and if so had it been wiped out before shooting? I have experienced some rifles that would shoot high from a clean barrel but when I started wiping the barrel out, the problem ceased. Just a thought.
I got curious and tested some first shots over the chrono and found that a first shot from a clean and unwiped barrel was consistently faster than the next shots. It is a long time ago and I cannot remember how much faster though. I have no idea why that should have been so.

Mereside, how long ago did you do the test? The test now is zeroing target at 100mtrs first, then deer target at 100 mtrs, 70 and 40. That is the full test. 3 attempts at the zeroing target (failing to complete that stops you from carrying on any further) And 3 attempts at the 3 positioned deer targets.

It is a straightforward shooting test , but it is amazing how many very good shots get it wrong because they are shooting at a bit of paper!!..................JOHN

Moray i did mine in january 2012 . Interesting to here it has changed ,stratts just relax you will be fine ,atb wayne

Back