Help needed?

oman

Hi all just looking some help regarding reloading I am new to reloading and seem to be having some problems with resizing the brass. I am reloading for a .22-250 and when I am removing the spent primer and resizing the neck I can't get the neck resized to the correct size It always seems to be to big and the bullet head is very loose. A few times I have got the neck tight and when I put a head into it, it will push down into the brass with very little force. Hope someone can help.

Hi all just looking some help regarding reloading I am new to reloading and seem to be having some problems with resizing the brass. I am reloading for a .22-250 and when I am removing the spent primer and resizing the neck I can't get the neck resized to the correct size It always seems to be to big and the bullet head is very loose. A few times I have got the neck tight and when I put a head into it, it will push down into the brass with very little force. Hope someone can help.

What dies? I'm guessing Lee Collet Dies?? If so, screw the die in more until you get the neck tension you want.~Muir

Hi it is the lee collet set of dies and I have the die screwed down fully to the nut. Has anyone had a problem like this before.

Hi it is the lee collet set of dies and I have the die screwed down fully to the nut. Has anyone had a problem like this before.

Not sure what this means. But in almost every post of this sort it's because the die isn't screwed in far enough. You should feel resistance when you hit the top of the ram stroke.~Muir

Hi i have the nut twisted all the way down to the end of the thread and there is no pressure against it?

Are you seeing the collet push in to the body of the die? As the shell holder contacts the collet it should push the collet up into the body. Lee recommend that the die is screwed in until it contacts the shell holder, then an additional two full turns....

Hi i have the nut twisted all the way down to the end of the thread and there is no pressure against it?

I'm still confused as to the 'nut' reference. The collet dies have a threaded cap that is never adjusted. The die body is adjusted to the shell holder and then some as TomD said, then locked with the locking nut when the right position is found.~Muir

Is this nut you refer to on the threads of the die, the ones you use to screw it into the press?

If so then you can screw this nut up the threads and that will allow the die to screw further into the press. The idea is that you screw this nut up the threads, get the position of the die correct, and the tighten the nut up to hold the die firm in the press. This means you start with the nut well up the threads so it doesn't interfere in the process of setting the die correctly,

Is this nut you refer to on the threads of the die, the ones you use to screw it into the press?

If so then you can screw this nut up the threads and that will allow the die to screw further into the press. The idea is that you screw this nut up the threads, get the position of the die correct, and the tighten the nut up to hold the die firm in the press. This means you start with the nut well up the threads so it doesn't interfere in the process of setting the die correctly,

I tried not to go there. ~Muir (Lord. Tell me is isn't so...:rolleyes:)

Have a read of the die instructions again and don't forget that the collet die is adjusted quite differently to the full length die. It's surprising how often this subject has come up in the past and it's usually a simple question of reading the die instructions properly. If you don't have or have lost the set up instructions they can be downloaded from the Lee Precision website.

Mine isn't. I couldn't really get any more accurate, and its so much easier not faffing around with lube...

If you are getting consistent neck tension with collet dies you are a sight luckier with them than most people. I wouldn't have them as a gift.

Throw the damned collet die away and buy a conventional one. They are just garbage.

I haven't used anything else but the Lee collet die for quite a while now and am very pleased with the results I get.

​Maybe you need to read the instructions and make some adjustments to yours?

If you are getting consistent neck tension with collet dies you are a sight luckier with them than most people. I wouldn't have them as a gift.
I take it the "most people" means your good self?
I use collet dies and get good neck tension! So if I'm that lucky! Why have I not won the lottery yet?

​Maybe you need to read the instructions and make some adjustments to yours?

Frankly, I fail to see why I or anyone else should have to make adjustments such as reducing the diameter of the mandrel as recommended in the instructions that come with the shoddy things.
A standard neck sizing die works just fine without such 'adjustments' or the purchase of an undersized mandrel.

Unsubstantiated criticism is just that. How about you relate your personal experiences with them. We'll swap stories. I have had one set of Collet dies that didn't size properly. On the other hand, I've had two consecutive sets of Hornady dies that produced dimensionally horrible ammo, and my last set of RCBS Small Base 30-06 was causing the necks to be over sized on the expanding stroke.~Muir

I had a thought for the OP: How old is that brass? If the brass is work hardened nothing will size it well.

Oman, I am pretty close to you. PM me if you are still struggling and I will try and sort this out for you over the next few evenings.

Unsubstantiated criticism is just that. How about you relate your personal experiences with them. We'll swap stories.

My criticism of collet dies is substantiated in post #17 above. My experience of them in 2 calibres was that neither produced acceptable neck tension without an undersized mandrel.
You aren't the only person who has been reloading for decades, Muir. I have too and am as entitled to an opinion as anyone. My personal opinion is that Lee collet dies are garbage.
If you are happy with yours, that's grand.

Back