So sad that their being shot while pregnant & with young!

CWMMAN3738

Just looking through the wild boar opertunities & was somewhat saddened & dismayed to see shooting under the moon throughout the year! I find it somewhat hypocritical to say we only shoot under the moon but we shoot all through the year when sows are pregnant or have dependant young, it appears that business must continue surely these animals deserve a chance of fair play & some respect but not in Dorset it seems.

How much and how many clients do you know pay £150 outing plus shot fee & trophy fee for foxes?
​"IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY" or so it seems

Aw so you only have a problem with shooting pregnant females or females with dependant young when there's money involved!

No i dont do it at all i leave mine alone untill the winter as Basil says "he who shoots sow with piglets enters the forrest of boar" or something like, i think they should have a season like all other species and the respect they deserve,
and no i dont shoot muntjac!
​QUOTE=davidm;581899]Aw so you only have a problem with shooting pregnant females or females with No I dependant young when there's money involved![/QUOTE]

So where in the said advert do's it say anything about shooting pregnant sows or sows with dependant young? Nothing wrong with shooting yearling boar any time of the year. Hunters just need to know what they are shooting at.

​I think people have got some romantic idea about only shooting boar on a snowy moonlit nights.
We have a short closed season on mature males. Yearling boar can be shot all year round. Sows with dependant young cannot be shot at any time of the year.

The reason for not shooting sows with dependant young is 2 fold. first the dependant young without their mother have no leadership and will cause more damage and just as bad is that without the lead sow all the other females of breeding age in the sounder will come on heat. So instead of curing a problem you make it worse.

Shame we don't have the same legislation in this country to protect them that's the point I'm making the dates offered will likely be when sows are with or have young and the prices are given for sows & juveniles. I agree with shooting males however.
So where in the said advert do's it say anything about shooting pregnant sows or sows with dependant young? Nothing wrong with shooting yearling boar any time of the year. Hunters just need to know what they are shooting at.

​I think people have got some romantic idea about only shooting boar on a snowy moonlit nights.
We have a short closed season on mature males. Yearling boar can be shot all year round. Sows with dependant young cannot be shot at any time of the year.

The reason for not shooting sows with dependant young is 2 fold. first the dependant young without their mother have no leadership and will cause more damage and just as bad is that without the lead sow all the other females of breeding age in the sounder will come on heat. So instead of curing a problem you make it worse.

Shot fee: £50 for any female / juvenile male. No mention of sows, only juvenile male, females. Hunting boar is no different than hunting deer. You just need knowledge of what your shooting at.

Now that you are retired and have no need of an earned income.............

How do you expect Professional stalkers to earn a living? Shoot what's appropriate, that's what.

​Stan

It's easy to justify anything if you need to but everyone knows what I'm getting at as testified by the PM & phone calls I've had about this thread. you don't shoot deer when they are out of season of in calf cos they make your living for you so you should give boar the same respect. I know someone who shoots boar in Dorset and they are far fewer now than they were primarily because of being shot continually according to him. It's a disgrace in my opinion and tantamount to biting the hand that feeds you.
Rant on and justify it all you want, but it'll never be right in my eyes or those who believe in the long term future of boar in the UK, I think.

Now that you are retired and have no need of an earned income.............

How do you expect Professional stalkers to earn a living? Shoot what's appropriate, that's what.

​Stan
I can understand that the pros have to make a living but when the place is virtually devoid of boar as parts of Dorset are what happens then?

I am not saying its right or wrong all I say is should all animal not be showin the same respect.. Not just the ones we pick and choose?

So we can shoot Roe 365 days of the year but not shoot Boar?

Shooting "under the moon" means over a bait station so the shooter has to choose what to shoot. This is the issue.

Are you alluding to shooting of sows with young/pregnant or just in general, as sows can breed all year round.

It's the same moral dilemma as Muntjac.

Stan

you shoot one then they vanish for a while but eventually they come back. You don't have any real chance as such to wipe them out, you just chase them off for good with too much pressure. Some woods are devoid of deer around me but then, they are walked every day by locals and yet where the walkers aren't surprise! that's where they went! Boar are no different and are very sensitive to change and disturbance.

Boar are smarter than deer..... put pressure on them and they sod off simples

Believe it or not?
Pigs might actually be seen as a pest & not a game animal by some.

The only way they will be managed as a game animal is if they are of some value to those who own, manage & share the landscape with these animals. Hunters are further down the list as stakeholders.

If they are worthless or become a pest by causing more problems than they are worth, the key stakeholders will try to get rid of the lot, old or young, pregnant or not.
If they bring value these same stake holders will soon want them more abundant, until a safe population density can be maintained.

Pigs arent the easiest game species to manage, as they can cause more problems than deer & birds, carry & spread disease, & have a high fecundity & recruitment.
Emotion & ethics can get in the way of good game management objectives at times. As much as greed can.

​Cheers Sharkey

An interesting thread and some very good points raised, I believe there should be a close season but it is always going to be a difficult and sensitive issue. They do take an absolute hammering and most folk round here with a .30 cal have boar on their ticket although most have probably never connected with one. Unfortunately there are also quite a few others that don't have .30 cal or boar on their ticket that have connected and for whom any closed season or welfare would count for very little!!

The photo below is just one rooted up patch of a 15 acre field and was taken Saturday morning. The land owner would would not have cared if I had shot in season / out of season, males or sows with followers!! So a close season would not have have protected these newly planted spuds, it is a very difficult one to call when it's your living at stake! I didn't pull the trigger either...........

ATB

​T

Last edited:
Back