Badger cull info

I believe (could be wrong) the testing section isn't under supervision, it asks all shooters to do the test and keep the target as proof of competence if required. But I could have read it wrong?

edit - think I am wrong, this is the guidance for a 'course'

Last edited:
Remember that with all the emotive hype surrounding the cull and the need for the "ministry" to robustly defend its actions, it has covered every possibility for criticism. One of those areas is to be able to demonstrate and produce documentation demonstrating that those doing the shooting are trained and compitent.

Never fear, I bet there are those on here with applications pending already for corse approval, ain't that right Mike.lol:rofl:

Why in this age of laser measuring devices, would "Judging" distances to target have any relevance?

Also as far as I'm aware the shooting is primarily planned to be from a fixed elevated position or vantage point to a bait station. Surely you'd place the bait station at the correct distance from the shooting point and so not need t estimate distances in the heat of the moment?

And what levels of certification will be awarded?.......... L1 .. L2,?.. Advanced night shooter?... Grandfather rights for those Foxing for twenty years or more???:doh:

Judging distance shoudnt be a problem had one walk past the other night wilst out lamping (fox):) on a two metre margin fully lit never even looked up

Badgers????? bait stations? shooting competency tests? laser measuring devices?
Has the world gone MAD?
Badgers would be the easiest thing in the world to shoot, you can just walk straight up to them with a lamp and shoot them from as close as you like.

Badgers????? bait stations? shooting competency tests? laser measuring devices?
Has the world gone MAD?
Badgers would be the easiest thing in the world to shoot, you can just walk straight up to them with a lamp and shoot them from as close as you like.

So you've already started then?:rofl:

Charlie T has it right, with all the publicity about this, DEFRA have to be more than certain and (as important) be seen to be more than certain. Any degree of imperfection will be used to criticise the cull. You can search on the DEFRA site for a lot of information on shooting badgers - their surface anatomy gives different landmarks compared to foxes for the perfect humane shot.

Sorry to ask a stupid question but why do they not just gas them?
I have read there concerned about shooting x% of populationvery quickly so cull doesn't move them around and also the bunny hugger disturbance could cuase them to move and potentially spread tb.
Would a bit of cymag not sort the problem out a lot better and only gas a % of the sett's. Would be very quick, effective and save a fortune

Sorry to ask a stupid question but why do they not just gas them?
I have read there concerned about shooting x% of populationvery quickly so cull doesn't move them around and also the bunny hugger disturbance could cuase them to move and potentially spread tb.
Would a bit of cymag not sort the problem out a lot better and only gas a % of the sett's. Would be very quick, effective and save a fortune

Cymag went out a long time ago.

Jimbo

Not that long ago (for rabbits at least) and they are changing the law to allow u to shoot badgers would of thought it would not be a massive problem to bring back cymagfor trained operators as would be guaranteed to get ur cull very quickly.
The only draw back i can think off is no access to billy for testing? If they are testing the carcasses

Ps ndt i think u must be mistaken and it is something else. Would be an offence to still have some in possesion. Think cost's a fortune to get rid of it properly too, few years ago they had an amnesty up here to get as much in and out of system as possible

Last edited:
how soon and where will the cull be. is the test/training compulsery.
and the other thing that worries me more is, that i assume we have to apply to DEFRA to join the cull, but how safe are our personal details. There are going to be alot of anti badger people and sooner or later that info will get out. then you will have a few hardcore anti's making your life hell. sorry to sound a bit harsh but these things do happen

So you've already started then?:rofl:

Er, no, but I do know several people who used to shoot badgers before it became illegal, and I see a lot of badgers when out lamping. They take little notice of a lamp provided that you're quiet and stay downwind.

Back