Recommend me a..

shotguntom

I'm looking for a rifle case i can use to transport my rifle to S.A.

Not sure if there are any laws on what can be used and what cant. I have a hard plastic one but the sides can be bent in easily, and not sure it would survive the treatment of the baggage handlers...

Not looking for top of the range, just some thing cheap that will do the job.

​Cheers

A lot will depend on whether your rifle is modular or not as to the size of the case needed.
The ideal/best case for any rifle is one of the Peli cases.
If however you do decide to use one of the 'plastic' ones, I would suggest you get a block of wood, or blocks of wood, dependiing on which case you use, 2" x 2" and the depth of the case.
This or these are placed in the centre or strategicly placed inside the case to prevent the case getting crushed if something is placed on top of it.
Good Luck on your trip.

a good air travel case can be a fair few ££ is there any one nr you on this site willing to lend you one! on a damage it you buy it !! type loan?, when you going as mine is with apal in the USA he will be back in 6 weeks
atb
paul

I will be watching this thread as I am after the same. Looked at Pelican and Blaser but they are both £200 plus. The Plano seemed better priced but not sure if they will be strong enough? Like they say you get what you pay for and I wouldn't be too happy if I got to SA and my rifle had been damaged.

a good air travel case can be a fair few ££ is there any one nr you on this site willing to lend you one! on a damage it you buy it !! type loan?, when you going as mine is with apal in the USA he will be back in 6 weeks
atb
paul

That sounds like a good idea! Of course, any damage would be paid for. I don't go till September 9th, counting down the days!!

​Tom

I will be watching this thread as I am after the same. Looked at Pelican and Blaser but they are both £200 plus. The Plano seemed better priced but not sure if they will be strong enough? Like they say you get what you pay for and I wouldn't be too happy if I got to SA and my rifle had been damaged.

I have seen the same, you could shoot another animal at those prices! I will be wrapping mine in bubble wrap either way to be sure its safe!

A lot will depend on whether your rifle is modular or not as to the size of the case needed.
The ideal/best case for any rifle is one of the Peli cases.
If however you do decide to use one of the 'plastic' ones, I would suggest you get a block of wood, or blocks of wood, dependiing on which case you use, 2" x 2" and the depth of the case.
This or these are placed in the centre or strategicly placed inside the case to prevent the case getting crushed if something is placed on top of it.
Good Luck on your trip.

Thanks for the tip, i will look into it!

I have a Blaser which breaks down quite small. I also have the Blaser case for it but in my view it is not robust enough to survive regular bouts of extreme violence at the hands of baggage handlers. I no longer use the Blaser case when transporting the rifle by air, though I did use it once or twice and it survived on those occasions.

Peli cases are great, very strong and so on, but to be honest they are probably over specified for shipping a firearm by air and they are also very heavy.

I had a friend make me up a flight case for my Blaser. It looks pretty unimpressive, which was one of my requirements, is very strong and also is very light. I'd guess that there is probably someone near you who makes up flight cases for musicians and their requirements in terms of size, shape and so on will be far more complex than a simple rifle. Given that it might be worth having a word. If your rifle doesn't break down then they might have something off the shelf that would suit and if not they should be able to build something to your spec. Getting something built to your exact requirements is always nice plus even if it is a bit more costly than a Peli you will soon save the money on excess baggage charges. My rifle, scope, bipod, sling and flight case all together come in under the 12kg Easyjet allow you when you book a firearm on one of their flights and the flight case has travelled quite a few times now with no signs of distress.

I will attach a few photos of my case. If anyone asks what's in it I tell them it's my bagpipes and so far everyone I've spun that yarn to has believed me :)

just got back from S.A with a squashed expensive alloy air line case! go with the peli case or 1 of cabelas alloy travel cases, they stand upto the abuse very well!!

Nice case Caorach!! What did you use to cut the foam as this is something I will be looking at shortly for a Peli and watched a you tube where a electric knife was used?

cheers Mick

​ps sorry for hijacking your thread ;)

I can't remember what the foam was cut on. It was either an electric saw - one of the ones with a vertical blade with small teeth where you set the wood on a table - or maybe we used a hot wire. The chap who makes the flight cases has both and I know we discussed using both methods but I've no idea what we actually used on the day.

I travel a lot with my guns. Pelicase is the only way to go as they are virtually indestructible. I have several models, im3300 and a 1700. It`s a false economy to buy a cheap case......they are cheap for a reason!

Back