Shortest barrel length for .223?

yetidude69

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone knows how short a barrel you could go on a .223, but so you still get full powder burn?
​cheers James

I have an AR15 with a 9 inch barrel which shoots very well at 100 meters. IIRC, it has a 1:7 twist and it shoots 55 grain rounds. I only use it at the range as it is a semi auto. I will shoot it at 300m and let you know how get on.

I have an AR15 with a 9 inch barrel which shoots very well at 100 meters. IIRC, it has a 1:7 twist and it shoots 55 grain rounds. I only use it at the range as it is a semi auto. I will shoot it at 300m and let you know how get on.

9" barrel!!! Wow Coner1, that's tiny and also im pretty sure not legal in the uk?(someone correct me?) well 300m would be the max distance id need, I'm just toying with a nice light weight dedicated NV gun! :) I'd be interested in seeing some pics of that!
​regards James

Mine is 17" nice and short

Just out of interest, do you know what muzzle velocities you're hitting with that?
My Steyr Pro Varmint .223 with 24" barrel is kicking 55g Privi Partizans out at 3500fps- about 300fps quicker than their quoted speed.

Just out of interest, do you know what muzzle velocities you're hitting with that?
My Steyr Pro Varmint .223 with 24" barrel is kicking 55g Privi Partizans out at 3500fps- about 300fps quicker than their quoted speed.

​I have no idea

18-20 inches is the optimum for powder burn, if you couple that with a 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 inch
barrel you can accurately shoot the heavier bullets,
20 inch, 1 in 8 twist and you can accurately shoot out to 600 yards!

If your worried about fully burning the powder and you reload just use a faster powder which will burn in that length and also get some of that fps back your loosing.

20 inch barrel will be prefect on 223

Back