Thread: A big hello to everyone from the Wye Vally!

A big hello to everyone from the Wye Vally!

Hi to everyone! I'm Mike from Trellech Grange on the Welsh side the beautiful Wye Valley. I'm a recent convert to deer stalking - I obtained my current FAC a couple of years ago and now enjoy a Sauer 202 in .308, a Tikka T3 in .243 for deer stalking as well as a lovely .17HMR for worrying magpies and rabbits.

I'm a long serving member of the TA and a former Gloster. I've recently returned form a year long tour in Afghan mentoring the Afghan Police. Amazingly only one of my Afghan charges was shot (accidentally) by by a fellow Afghan policeman in a bout of celebratory gun fire following the end of a hot resolution to a major terrorist incident - what is it they say? Keep your friends close and your enemies closer? Oh, and always be sure of your backstop.

​Having returned to Blighty I used my end of tour leave to pass the DSC1 course and am now considering taking the DSC2 course. I'm a pretty experienced shooter (target rifle, pistol and game) of 40+ years. I even hold a German hunting licence (Jagdschein) although I never got to shoot any game in Germany before I returned to the UK back in the 80's

I would be very keen to meet up with and learn how to stalk deer properly from some experienced stalkers if there is anyone in the Wye Valley / Forest of Dean area who would be willing to give a Paduan some guidance.

Looking forward to learning from you all and hopefully meeting some of you as well.

May the Force be with you.

Welcome to the SD sure you will find a kindly soul on here to help now your back on home soils
    good hunting .

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Great part of the world the Wye valley, I used to live in Redbrook, still miss having a crafty pint in the Boat after fishing on the Wye!

I live and work in the area you speak of and would be more than happy to meet up and talk deer. Not sure how experienced a person you are looking for but I know which end of the rifle the bullet come out from.