Fluted barrels

KB1

Considering having a fluted barrel on my next rifle. 308. Will be used for stalking but will also take down the range at Bisley when I can. Will a fluted barrel allow me to put more rounds down the range? What other advantages does it have, if any (apart from looking kinda good)

I have a fluted barrell the reason i have a fluted barrell is purely asthetic it looks bloodly lovely! It really is very very slim any difrrences it really does make over a standard barrell!

If you want to see a proper fluted barrel get one from armalon,real deep flutes,they look real sexy,best I've ever seen

The fluting 'stiffens ' the barrel without adding the full weight of a full bull barrel , but as with most things in life that are an attempt to get the best of both its a compromise - the fluting will cause issues when the barrel heats up during an extended string of shots.
The fluting will cause the barrel to heat up unevenly and the will likely cause a shift in the poi - much the same as you get in a sporter / lightweight barrel from a cold barrel to a hot one.
The fluting is supposed to aid in faster cooling - increased surface area , but whether this is really effective is a moot point .

Overall if your primary purpose is stalking a decent quality fluted barrel should be an aid to improved accuracy , and occasional range use - don't shoot too fast :D

Last edited:
Fluting is like cutting holes in your car bonnet ! You think it looks good and improves things. But everyone else knows it has no use except to sell rifles with a cheap bling factor.
Save your money !!!!!

The fluting 'stiffens ' the barrel without adding the full weight of a full bull barrel , but as with most things in life that are an attempt to get the best of both its a compromise - the fluting will cause issues when the barrel heats up during an extended string of shots.
The fluting will cause the barrel to heat up unevenly and the will likely cause a shift in the poi - much the same as you get in a sporter / lightweight barrel from a cold barrel to a hot one.
The fluting is supposed to aid in faster cooling - increased surface area , but whether this is really effective is a moot point .

Overall if your primary purpose is stalking a decent quality fluted barrel should be an aid to improved accuracy , and occasional range use - don't shoot too fast :D
how does fluting make the barrel stiffer then,if you are taking metal of the barrel it's going to be less rigid,ok with extra surface area for cooling

Way i understand it is a Fluted Barrel is stiffer than a non Fluted Barrel of the same weight. A non Fluted Barrel is stiffer than a Fluted Barrel of the same diameter.
Happy to be corrected though.

Yorkie.

how does fluting make the barrel stiffer then,if you are taking metal of the barrel it's going to be less rigid,ok with extra surface area for cooling
Fluting in itself does not improve the stiffness of a barrel , a fluted barrel is generally of a larger diametre than a lightweight / sporter weight barrel - a medium to heavy barrel profile if you will , the fluting reduces the overall weight of the barrel so it is still stiffer than the lightweight barrel, but not as heavy as a heavyweight barrel but neither is it as stiff as a true heavyweight barrel .
So it is a compromise between the two , offering something of both but not as good as either in that aspect ie lightweight / stiffness .

Maybe right saying it would be more rigid of barrel the same weight,the same barrel fluted would be lees rigid,unless you have seen an armalon deep fluting you havent seen proper fluting,most standard fluting is for looks

Last edited:
There is Improved accuracy in fluted barrels because of increased barrel stiffness. Compare a fluted barrel and a non fluted barrel, both of the same weight, the fluted barrel will be stiffer because the fluted barrel will be of a larger diameter than the unfluted barrel. Increasing the diameter of a barrel greatly increases its rigidity.Fluting also aids faster cooling of barrel, the larger amount of surface area exposed to the elements is going to cool down quicker between shots.

Personally though I thinks its aesthetics for the most part, but if you have the cash, like the look, get a fluted barrel...buy what you want, not what is suggested!!!

Considering having a fluted barrel on my next rifle. 308. Will be used for stalking but will also take down the range at Bisley when I can. Will a fluted barrel allow me to put more rounds down the range? What other advantages does it have, if any (apart from looking kinda good)
You kinda got it in one at the end there. If it were truly so unilaterally awesome it would be done more often, particularly at higher price points.

So, if it looks good and makes you feel good then go for it. Is there a need to try and rationalize it with dubious science? :D

Milligan, exactly right and as Yorkie and others point out you better like the look of it because it won't work miracles. Fluting is a pretty dam expensive option to. Doubles the price of a blaser barrel and adds about 25% to the cost of a custom blank.

So overall, it probably comes down to looks. Annoyingly, that can often be a persuading factor .
As always, thanks for the tips

Back