Hi from Joel

Joel

Hi i'm Joel. I've used the SD for few years to find useful information on various topics. There have been many times when I would have liked to enter into discussions and talk with like minded people about my (our) deer addiction. I now have a little more time on my hands, and decided to get the most out of the forum I need to be actively involved.

I first got a taste of stalking back in 1989 when I would go stalking with my father and uncle In Dorset and North Wales at every opportunity. Six years ago i decided it was time for me go it alone, get my own rifle and patch of land to stalk on. Living In Herefordshire you would think this to be a relatively easy task given the amount of woodland and fallow we have in the county. This I discovered was not to be the case. How ever I persevered through a lot of networking and now have a few patches to call my own, for the time being anyway. I will never forget the feeling of going out on my own permission for the first time and taking a deer. Since I started stalking I have been fortunate to meet Adrian Howard, Patrick Faulkner, John Thornley and Neil Solis, and many others. All massively experienced and knowledgeable deer men who I have learned a great deal from.

Within my stalking area I predominantly have fallow and in the past five years a rising population of roe and muntjac.

Since I started stalking I have done my D.S.C L 1+2 and have attended and passed the B.D.S deer management course. All of which might I add, I have found very useful and informative. Though not to everybody's tastes I know, what with the current trend for having to have a piece of paper telling a perspective employer that you can perform tasks ranging from arse wiping to sucking eggs. Something I myself have recently fallen foul to . In my view anything that improves the quality of individuals working in our chosen sport or profession is a good thing, particularly where the welfare of animals and humans through the consumption of the end product is involved.

I could ramble on all day but I think I can smell a Sunday roast

Chat soon

Joel

Cheers Alan

Thought I may have gone slightly over the top with the arse wiping bit and was slightly regretting it. But that's just me.

Back