Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17 hornet, impressed!

17 hornet, impressed!

there's been a lot of chat going on regarding this cal of late, as it goes i put in for a variation a few months ago & try one for myself...
    like the rest of you i didn't fancy the savage either! but as there was nothing else available & indoors being made redundant i was sort of forced into having one... picked one up from a nice gent on here who had it shortened. got to be honest i didn't expect much from it but just thoght it would tide me over untill i was in a better financial position....
    anyway i have started a bit of load development over the last few days & i have to say i am really impressed! quarter inch groups no worries! doesnt loose accuracy after a dozen rounds like the hmr i had! not seen a split case yet either....
    just love it!

Good innit?
    Only thing I'm a bit sulky over is the ease you can muck up a case when seating despite chamfering the insides!
    I've found that it's a bit "picky" on the load but not too choosy on the powder or bullet.
    I've moly'd my bullets (25grain VMAX and 20grain Berger) and they both seem to perform really well with H322 and H4198.
    I've got some Lil'Gun to try under the 20s from a mate who'd been using it in a 357 and found it a bit grotty...time will see.
    No trouble picking off bunnies at 200m...

i have only just started playing & the obvious place was with the 20's..
    like you say 200yd bunny head shots should be a breeze!...
    christened mine with a 125yd crow yesterday evening, had a stiff old breeze coming from around 10 o'clock, gave it about 2.5 inches of windage & hit him square can't wait till summer sets in properly...

The 25grain is no worse, really, than a 55grain SP in a 223 / 22-250 in the wind. At least that's what the BC indicates.
    Not sure about headshots yet!
    Don't "trust" it that far without some evidence...
    Main issue to date has been first shot after cleaning being out of the group but just patching seems to have settled it.

I'd be real interested to see a couple of your best 200 yard 5-shot groups please.

I have a photo here I took from a 130 yard head shot. Custom cz does the job nicely. Made a right mess though

dear shooter 223 please refrain from making me regret selling a rifle.could you have the decency to say its crap and your well rid.

Quote Originally Posted by soother223 View Post
    ....i took a pot shot at a mark on the concrete base of an electric pylon at 235 yds, what aimed at was about the size of an egg! hit it first time!
    Really, is that meant to be a good thing? Hazard awareness - out the door...
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Quote Originally Posted by RickoShay View Post
    Really, is that meant to be a good thing? Hazard awareness - out the door...
    If the pylon is still in service I wouldn't be advertising such practices.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    If the pylon is still in service I wouldn't be advertising such practices.
    LOL it depends if he has ALQ on his ticket then a pilot is fair game