another intro

goshawker

Like many been browsing as a guest for some time. Limited stalking experience, have my FAC (.243) and some nice ground so will hopefully be able to harvest the odd muntjac. Falconry is my main passion but I can see how stalking could take up too much time(and money)! I also have a couple of GSP's the younger one has been busy FT with some success at Novice FT.

Last edited:
Do you have any birds of prey big enough to hunt muntjac with? Actually, quite seriously, does anyone do that? They're not really open-country creatures of course, but you never know.

Thanks for the welcome, never heard of one taking Muntjac. Mine have bated at fawns when the dog has flushed them but obviously I have never slipped them at these. On the continent they fly Eagles at Roe and have heard of accounts of a female harris hawk taking a roe accidentally whilst hare hawking in the Czech republic and a female Goshawk doing likewise. Pretty impressive when you think that these birds will weigh circa 3lb. In my opinion hawking anything bigger than a hare is not really ethical due to the damage that could occur to the bird and the fact that thay are not equipped to kill 'large' animals that in the event that falconer is not on hand that death could be slow and protracted. Plus of course the bed press that could result.

Back