First shot from a cold barrel or grouping?

I. Farticus

Hi All

As an admission, I'm still pretty new to stalking, but have been around firearms for 30-odd years. Most of that has been centrefire and rimfire target shooting, the sole purpose of which is to score V-Bulls at distances out to 1200yds, so in essence it's actually about being able to group rounds.

So, to my point; There are ton of posts/threads/comments on how a rifle does (or generally doesn't) group, but as I'm yet to group on live quarry, this is what I'm trying to achieve with my set up...

This was the first round, from a cold barrel, at 100 yds:
SST 150513.jpg

At this stage I packed up, had a coffee and a natter, collected my target and came home. This wasn't me being clever but:
1. If I can do this every time, then I'm a happy camper as the deer will drop into its shadow
2. I'm a tight sod, and see no point in wasting ammo

This thread isn't an "aren't I clever", or to raise "no, you're a kn*b" comments, but to understand what others think...

Cheers
iain

Completely agree, why continue until you make a silly mistake to knock your confidence, you have to trust the rifle in the field on the first shot so why do different on the range.

You are obviously confident enough in your ability and your kit to know that your POI was your POA and not a just a coincidence. I wouldn't be recommending this to the inexperienced though! Curiosity always gets the better of me. Can I repeat it? After all you may need a second or a third shot when out on deer not just on the range.

It's a fair point.
If you've done a lot of target shooting then I suppose you've got less to get out of a session on a target anyway.
I just love pulling the trigger and if I've gone to the effort of putting one up, it's fun to have a play.

It also depends on how you felt when you broke the shot, if you felt rubbish on that one shot like you'd pulled it and then it his dead centre, curiosity would make you wonder what really happened ;)

if you've got the technique to break the perfect shot first time, then it only takes one shot to zero a rifle anyway ;) :stir:

​I've often wondered about this. Why check zero with a warm barrel when my first (and probably, only) shot of the day will be with a cold one?Similarly, I know people who insist on putting a "fouling round" through the barrel before shooting an animal, claiming that this must be done or else the bullet will strike several inches from the POA.
Personally, I like to keep my rifles clean and cold, with the confidence that I can land a bullet where I aim.

I Farticus - the only thing I would do differently to you, is after the cup of coffee and chat - put another round down the range, then go off and have another coffee and a chat - put a third round down the range. Probably a bit more social that way. Some would even go so far as say push a patch through, but thats getting bit anal. I would also check to see if different shooting positions made a difference to point of impact - say off a bipod, standing etc. It probably does, but probably not enough to worry about within normal hunting ranges.

I would with a new rifle shoot a few groups rapidly - what I want to know is where does shot 2, 3 or 4 go if I have to take quick follow up shots or taking out a calf with a hind. 2nd shot should n't make a difference, but on some light barreled rifles and combination guns it does.

MTPW!

I don't see any piont to groups of under a inch in a stalking/hunting rifle. Really what does it prove?
If you can put the first shot In a circle 1" wide. Repeat for five shots every time when the barrel is cold. Job done!!!!!,

MTPW!

I don't see any piont to groups of under a inch in a stalking/hunting rifle. Really what does it prove?
If you can put the first shot In a circle 1" wide. Repeat for five shots every time when the barrel is cold. Job done!!!!!,

MTPW? Or am I being a bit thick - nothing new, so please make allowances :doh:

There are variables involved here... My .22lr target rifle hadn't been cleaned in years when I received it. It would shoot a flyer (or three) from cold. I now clean it after every session (c.50 rounds) and I noticed that as it became gradually cleaner it would put out less "cold barrel" flyers. Now that it is settled and I have a cleaning routine, it shoots pretty much perfect from round one - perhaps a mm out.

Iain

It's not where I would want my cold bore shot, or subsequent shots to go. I'd like three shots fired in quick succession to group at 1 inch high at 100yds. Keep in mind that roe deer don't stand side on at 100yds waiting for you in good light with no wind. Secondly, there may be more than one buck in the group. Thirdly, some roe deer are not very big with larder weights of <8kg.

As a rule of thumb, whatever group size you shoot in practice, it will double in size under field conditions.

Regards JCS

Can't say I disagree
I checked zero yesterday
only fired the 2nd shot as I couldn't see the first and couldn't be arsed to walk up there!

I do agree that I prefer the point of impact to be slightly above the bull but as this was shot at about 80-85yds I am not concerned

IMG_0303_zpsd47543a7.jpg

Can't say I disagree
I checked zero yesterday
only fired the 2nd shot as I couldn't see the first and couldn't be arsed to walk up there!

I do agree that I prefer the point of impact to be slightly above the bull but as this was shot at about 80-85yds I am not concerned

IMG_0303_zpsd47543a7.jpg
ah, where would we be without pizza bases! My other half thinks I'm mad for keeping them!

Agree that the first shot is often the most important but what if you're out on the hinds and are a big fan of keeping your barrel squeaky clean?! :scared:

A good friend who really can shoot had a 2MOA difference between first shot and the subsequent dirty barrel group. He rebarelled and the problem stopped but quite unnerving when shooting out to 200m.

Agree that the first shot is often the most important but what if you're out on the hinds and are a big fan of keeping your barrel squeaky clean?! :scared:

A good friend who really can shoot had a 2MOA difference between first shot and the subsequent dirty barrel group. He rebarelled and the problem stopped but quite unnerving when shooting out to 200m.

Absolutely agree with all of the comments ref follow up shots. This is my best 100yd 5 round grouping to date, so am reasonably happy that if a second/third shot is required that I'll be ok.

120912.jpg

The caveat being that this was on the range, prone on bipod, at paper... NOT on sticks, on a windy day, with live quarry ranged 50, 51, 68, 93 and 150 yds (random numbers).

Ultimately, I want to be the best that I can be, and that takes practice and comfort with my set up. None of us can practice on live quarry, so all we can do is to take my theoretical learnings from the range, and put them into place in the field.

My next trip to the range will be exclusively on sticks and I'll see what happens then - if sh*te, then you'll not hear from me... Ok, you will, but with head down and mumbling an apology :coat:

its the first shot that counts , i do the same first cold shot if it good leave it well alone !!!!!!!!!!

Occasional when shooting Sika in particular they may not fall just on the spot maybe within 100m.

Certainly hitting it in the right spot to start with can slow it down though

Back