Professional Stalker Insurance

Monkey Spanker

What's out there? BASC don't cover it.
BDS only do up to £5000 income.
I'm not taking paying clients out, just contract culling and sale of venison.
MS

Pretty sure NGO do but, think you have to pay an additional fee on top of the membership.

Just got a quote from Cliverton of Fakenham, Norfolk 01328 857921. Pest Control, Stalkers and Game Keepers insurance, public liability insurance for £5 million was about £150 and £10 million was about £200. I recall seeing something from BASC recently which stated that if you would expect to pay tax on the proceeds of your activity then their insurance wouldn't cover you. Anyone who sells a deer carcass or venison would be expected to declare this income to the IR and it would be taxable and so wouldn't be covered by BASC insurance. I'm sure someone will point out any flaws in my logic!!

SACS do a business insurance, but i think it only covers liability taking clients stalking, as far as selling venison i got my insurance through the NFU, but it isn't cheap.
Cheers
Richard

This is what concerns me! Having had BASC insurance cover for as long as I can remember, it turns out that I wouldn't have been covered as I earn money and sell venison. Scary really as insurance companies will do their utmost to not pay out.
MS

It would appear that pretty much all that offer such a service link back to exactly the same provider!
Lycetts (underwritten by Lloyds) offer a policy via a Broker. The Policy offered by Cliverton of Fakenham in norfolk (as posted by Daw above!) covers liability insurance for professional Pest Control, Game Keepers, Stalkers, Ghillies & Water Bailiffs. For my needs it works out to £169. The BDS policy for non-professional is very competetive at £21 and allows you to earn up to £5000 for stalking related activity which includes sale of venison.
http://www.bds.org.uk/bds_stalking_insurance.html
I've had to let my BASC insurance lapse now as it didn't give me the required cover and I can't afford both!
Thanks for the pointers!
MS:thumb:

Just got a quote from Cliverton of Fakenham, Norfolk 01328 857921. Pest Control, Stalkers and Game Keepers insurance, public liability insurance for £5 million was about £150 and £10 million was about £200. I recall seeing something from BASC recently which stated that if you would expect to pay tax on the proceeds of your activity then their insurance wouldn't cover you. Anyone who sells a deer carcass or venison would be expected to declare this income to the IR and it would be taxable and so wouldn't be covered by BASC insurance. I'm sure someone will point out any flaws in my logic!!

this would turn out like the payment for beaters HMRC would lose a forture as every stalker would claim ammo, fuel, price of stalking lease and more so don't think HMRC will want anything to do with this.

Andy7mm

I know its not really relevant, But Membership to NZDA also provides $10,000,000 public liability insurance cover, including $1,000,000 cover for the Rural Fires Act.
Wouldnt it be possible to set up a generic insurance for UK stalkers once they had joined the relevant UKDA. ??

​Just a Thought.

​Kevin

Cliverton, Their staff are knowledgable, polite & to the point, and more importantly cost effective, you can also tailor your policy to some extent. Got my cover for foxing etc to councils.

Not cheap I am afraid, I am insured with Chaucer insurance, 1,000,000 public liability which is not a great deal these days, it also covers products liability up to 1.000,000
The cost? £28.10 per month £240.62 if paid in a lump sum.

I wish I could find some cheap insurance!

I have a policy with Melrups that combines cover for Stalking, Pigeon & goose guiding.

Public and product liability with indemnity limit of £2,000,000 on each cost me a whopping £619.90 per year!!!!

I have a policy with Melrups that combines cover for Stalking, Pigeon & goose guiding.

Public and product liability with indemnity limit of £2,000,000 on each cost me a whopping £619.90 per year!!!!

They quoted me the same mate! Give Cliverton a call!;)
MS

I'm taking out paying clients 300 days a year though, not quite the same as your own situation I believe?
I've not long renewed this years cover but will certainly be looking into it again next spring.
Cheers,
Mark.

I will repeat, are you aware that SACS provide business membership which will cover these activities?
But not selling venison, that is the costly bit.
Cheers
Richard

I will repeat, are you aware that SACS provide business membership which will cover these activities?
But not selling venison, that is the costly bit.
Cheers
Richard

Richard,
This isn't any good for me I'm afraid. It only covers the clients for 3rd party cover (if you pay £20 for each), I would still need my own indemnity or it's useless, and SACS do not do that.
Regards,
Mark.

There is a considerable difference between public liability insurance and professional liability insurance. The first is cheap and readily available, the second is very costly and limited in its availability.

I always ask those who provide shooting and stalking days for details of their insurance cover. You'd be surprised by how many say they have it but can't provide proof. ;)

In today's increasing litigious world, to operate a business without both is not a wise choice. It also provides a clear and immediate indication of your professionalism. IMO

I am with the same company and have been for ten years, recommended by BASC. Lets face it you must be well insured. This includes guest cover so many out there are taking paying guests out and no insurance. Be warned if it goes wrong you could lose your house. woodfordfallow

Hi Guys - I thought I better come in on this one so folks are clear about our SACS insurance - I agree fuly that it's vital to know exactly what yu are covered for. I can only speak for the SACS insurance, none of the others.

Our membership insurance is for country sports, not business insurance, so it will cover anything you do for pleasure or related to that, so if you stalk for sport, for example, it covers anything in connection with that including things like problems caused by your dog, selling the venison to a dealer and so on (as well as the legal fees if your local polis try to get creative with your FAC or if you are charged with an alleged offence.)

It would also cover humane despatch if that happens by chance, and taking deer numbers down if you do it for free but get the stalking free as a result and similar arrangements which are all part of the normal country way of life.

It will not cover contract stalking, which is employment, not sport, or any kind of stalking or deer management business except sporting agents who take clients out as described earlier in the thread where both the agent and the client are SACS members because of the way we arrange this.

If you enter into a contract to cull deer, there is a whole raft of extra legislation coveing compulsory H & S, equipment use and so on - what you need is called a business/combined policy which will cover your larder, vehicles and equipment as well as you and your employees - the companies mentioned in the thread do it, and I think the NFU do a policy as well - I have referred a number of members to them and no one ever came back and said they didn't. (Fingers crossed here....)

Incidentally, if you are running a stalking business, you SHOULD be claiming all of your travelling, equipment and subsistence costs as allowable expenses anyway - and you can get up to 80% of your vehicle costs :)

Hope that helps
Ian

It will not cover contract stalking, which is employment, not sport, or any kind of stalking or deer management business except sporting agents who take clients out as described earlier in the thread where both the agent and the client are SACS members because of the way we arrange this.

Ian

Can your please clarify a couple of points of me. Apologies if I seem a little confused.

1. The SACS insurance covers the member for public liability only, not professional liability

2. Agents are only covered for public liability if the client is also a SACS member.

3. There is a upper limit of income derived from any "Sporting agent" activities of £5,000.

Thanks in advance.

Back