.270 130 GRAIN SST BULLETS

Briarquest

Hi,
will I have gone from giving up shooting to buying another rifle all in a week :)

However has anyone used SST's and what was there effect on roe deer i.e meat damage (not just killing them) :)

Regards

Ian

SST's

Hi Briarquest

I hav'nt used SST's in a 270 but I have in a 7mm Rem Mag and found them pretty explosive out to about 175yrds. I used 140g SST's and decided they were a bit much so i used them up on the range.

The 270 is a high velocity round, I would get them to shoot in your gun first, then try them on a couple of Roe before taking a view.

The faster you push them the more damage they tend to do, I always think the Nosler Partition takes some beating for controlled expansion in high velocity calibres, albeit they are a bit more expensive!

Hope This helps!
Kindest Regards

I use 129gn sst's in my 6.5 (and will be for some time as i've bought 400 of them) and they make a fair old hole in a Roe but not unacceptable, I never used them in the 270 but i would imagine they would be worse.
130gn Sierra gamekings worked great in my 270 and were easy to get hold of.

Ezzy.

I have used 130gn SST from my 270 on roe, no great problems so long as you keep off the shoulder, if not you lose at least one shoulder but that pretty much goes for any big deer legal calibre. The fact that SST are it more expansive than some other bullets is probably a good thing on roe as there is a not a lot of body for it to penetrate and a more solidly constructed bullet could punch though without expanding much.

Best rgds

Tahr

Hi,
thanks for the replies so far. From what I can glean off the web is that if you push them too fast or shoot too close up then they explode and create too much damage. But if you load them sensibly and are shooting out to 100 yards you will get controlled expansion.

I am not looking for a varmint type reaction from them but I do preffer the way ballistic tipped bullets have less drag through the air than conventional bullets.

Ian

Thar said:
I have used 130gn SST from my 270 on roe, no great problems so long as you keep off the shoulder, if not you lose at least one shoulder but that pretty much goes for any big deer legal calibre. The fact that SST are it more expansive than some other bullets is probably a good thing on roe as there is a not a lot of body for it to penetrate and a more solidly constructed bullet could punch though without expanding much.

Best rgds

Tahr

I totally agree, I have a .270 for Red. I have used these bullets but if you get a shot at a roe, it can make a fair mess. I stick to soft nose such as the Remington core-loct 130gr and havent had a problem.

Remington Core Lock 130gr group really well and hold together, no. 1 choice in 270 for ranges out to 250m, but they just don't look that good compared to the plastic tipped stuff, I have had really odd reactions to Nosler BTs from my 270 Finnlight, from one extreme to another, 80m Red Calf through the ribs small entry, 75mm diameter clean round exit wound on the other side with the hair angled away from the exit, stalker could not believe his eyes, it looked like a shell had hit it. At the other end of the scale on beast absolutely no reaction to shot at all, no jolt, no standing on tip-toe, just ambled off very slowly and fell over, another just went completely rigid and stood swaying for more than a few seconds, so I shot it again and it dropped immediately, bullet placement was fine in all cases, its as if sometimes they don't even feel it going through.
weird - FlyBoy270

Back