Thread: hydatid cysts?

hydatid cysts?

Hi folks,

does anyone know if (a) we get hydatid cysts in the UK (Echinococcus); and (b) whether they infect deer.

It is been here and like most parasite worm infections we also have here, it would infect deer like other mammals
    Last edited by Paul at Fechan; 21-05-2013 at 09:28.

Thanks Paul.

Do you know if it's been seen in Scotland recently (Lothians, Borders, Fife)?

not heard anything.... but that doesn't mean it's not there?

Mungo, a new comer to this site is a very experienced and knowledgable vet caled Jimmy Simpson, whom I believe lives in the Scottish border area, and he has a particular interest in this field, he Iam sure will put us right in due course, once he reads this thread

Wales and the Western Scottish isles.

Yes deer can get it.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Thanks folks.

It's been cleared up - it turns out that what a friend thought were hydatid cysts in a bunny were actually Taenia serialis.

I just freaked out slightly when he first told me he'd found hydatids, because it got me worried they'd find there way into the deer on that farm.