Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako 85 .375 H&H

Sako 85 .375 H&H

I have recently been granted a .375 H&H.

The options are a CZ, a Sako 85 or a Mauser MO3 (bloody pricey).

I am veering towards the Sako 85. Does anyone have experience of the 85 in .375 ?

First off well done on being granted such a lovely calibre. Mine is very sadly missed but my force was less accepting of it and it wasn't worth keeping with all the conditions it had on it.

Now, what will you be shooting with it? If it's not dangerous then the choices become wider because reliability isn't quite so important. If however you plan to go out and shoot Buffalo and other stuff which will give you a serious telling off if you get it wrong then there are some very important points to consider. The most important is the feed type.

Some bolt actions (my Tikka, so I assume Sako too) just push the round from the mag to the barrel. If you've been knocked over and the gun is at a bad angle the bullet can fail to feed because it relies on gravity to keep it straight in the action. There are other times when things can go wrong too, but it's not worth going on about.

I had a BRNO 602. Now, this gun isn't smooth but it has controlled round feed. When the bullet pops from the mag it is retained on the bolt face by the ejector claw. No matter how hard you knock it or at what angle it's held, that bullet is held in line with the bolt and will feed. You can be pretty much certian of it!

What I suggest you do is look at all your choices and pick a gun with the controlled feed. It may save your arse one day and is widely recognised for that. The BRNO is one of the most reliable actions going. The CZ isn't quite the same but is very similar.

Sako 85 is a controlled feed action, so are the CZ's.

CZ's seem to be the goto rifle for big calibre in the US. Probably because they work and and very reasonably priced. Certainly when I worked in Zambia, most rifles in the hands of guides etc were BRNO's of some description with open sights for the simple reason they were what was available and they were tough and reliable.

I just had a look on guntrader to see what's about and my old rifle is on there! Not sure what's gone on there, I didn't sell it that long ago!

If you want a reliable BRNO that will shoot an inch at 100 yards with Remington 270grn SP ammo that's it. I shot a Squirrel with it in canada so it's varmint accurate!

It's still fitted with the QD scope it had when I had it too. A couple of twists of two wingnut type screws and the scope was off, and it would return to zero when put back on.

Here's a link. I can personally vouch for this rifle![NewType][]=Rifle&Filter[NewMechanism][]=Bolt%20Action&Filter[Calibre][]=.375%20H%26H&Filter[Calibre][]=.375%20H%26H%20Mag

I'm actually quite sad now. I thought it was going to a loving home but it looks like it's being sold on for profit

Do you want to use your .375 in Africa? If so then think about a breakdown rifle, allows a light and medium calibre, packs easier, and tends to have cases suffer less damage in transit.

If your only going to be shooting a box of ammo a year at animals then go for the CZ. Heavy enough to help with the recoil but you'll need a chunky case for it. My mate went through two before going for a Milspec Pelicase. Doesn't fit in cars though

blaser r93?

Regular Poster
    Galloway south west scotland

As far as i have been led to bieleve the CZ 550 safari is the BRNO 602, i have had one for 16 years, used it in zimbabwy, south africa, highlands, arran, and dorset,
    havnt worn it out, hasnt broken, fitts in my car, is a delight to carry , pushes rather than kicks, is very accurit, 1 inch groups, positive feed has never let me down, minimal carcase damage of all calibres ive used.

Probably the best all round calibre in a nice rifle.

Thats all i have to say, i would recomend one , but if you have lots of dosh you could get a very nice custom one from Mike Norris.

Dry Powder.

Last edited by barry thom; 14-04-2010 at 21:52. Reason: tried to improve spelling ect

Personally I'd go for the Sako and it'd be this one;

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Sako 85 is a controlled feed action, so are the CZ's.
    Heym, there seems to be some doubt about the veracity of Sako's claim that the 85 is a controlled feed. here is a quote from the Chuck Hawkes site;
    To briefly cover the new features of the new Sako 85 action, let's start with controlled-round feeding. We reviewed a Sako 85 Hunter in depth (see the Product Review Page) and found that the Sako 85 version of controlled feed lacks the advantages of a true controlled feed action. This action does not have a full-length extractor on the Mauser 98 pattern. The 85's bolt head mounted extractor is much smaller than the full-length extractors on a Mauser 98 and takes a smaller bite on the case rim. If you close the Sako's bolt about half way (until you hear the next cartridge in the magazine click up, ready to be fed) and then pull the bolt back and try to close it again, it will jam the rifle by attempting to double feed.
    A true controlled feed action, in that situation, holds onto the first cartridge until the bolt is completely withdrawn and it is ejected. If the bolt is run forward again while still holding the first cartridge, the extractor keeps it in place and guides it into the chamber, preventing the bolt from attempting to pick-up the second cartridge and preventing a double feed jam.
    Nor does the Sako 85 guide a fresh cartridge into the chamber like a controlled feed action. It simply pushes it forward and into the chamber like any push feed action. It is not until about the last 1/4" of forward bolt travel that the Sako's extractor actually gets a firm grip on the case rim. By that time the cartridge is almost all the way into the chamber anyway, so being "controlled" at that late stage is pointless.
    On the plus side, the Sako's extractor will easily over-ride the rim of a cartridge fed directly into the chamber, like a normal push feed action. For all practical purposes (except advertising) the Model 85 is a push feed action. Its receiver mounted ejector lets a reloader deposit fired brass neatly to hand by opening the bolt slowly."

Best stick to the CZ/Bruno then, after all, it's what I'm told most of the PH's use.

Last edited by flytie; 15-04-2010 at 10:43. Reason: spelling
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Hi Sticks

If you can track down an old Sako they were cracking rifles, this is a photo of one I used to own

Atb Wayne