270 recoil

macfarlane

Normally shoot a 243 but fancy a go at boar so thinking of a 270 whats the recoil like is it liable to knock me on my back,quite happy shooting a 100 rounds through my 243 with no ill effects,also would the 270 be ok for range work to 600 yards.ta stuart.

Normally shoot a 243 but fancy a go at boar so thinking of a 270 whats the recoil like is it liable to knock me on my back,quite happy shooting a 100 rounds through my 243 with no ill effects,also would the 270 be ok for range work to 600 yards.ta stuart.

I opted for a .270 Wsm of even a 7mm Wsm both are perfect for longer range stuff...I'd rather have a 300wsm for Boar...just my preference. :)

it is my go to rifle and i have two i love this calibre i dont honestly notice the recoil on mine i shoot without a mod. I also shoot a 300 win and love that as well but others seem to hate recoil on both all i can say is try one out as everyones different,atb wayne

It does bite if you are not holding the firearm correctly. Ensuring it's correctly mounted into the shoulder.

I only used it with a moderator, tried it once with out, it does kick, it is loud. The only negative I have with the .270's is you lose sight picture once you shoot even with the moderator. But I do like it, hence buying another.

TJ

Depends entirely on the set-up. length of the barrel and shape of the stock will have the biggest effect. If you put a moderator on the end this will reduce muzzle flip and recoil. For comparison my ammo and ballistics book gives a 'relative recoil factor' of 1.25 for .243, 1.82 for .270 and 1.95 for .308. I started stalking with an unmoderated .270 and I had to be careful not to shoot it too much on the range as the muzzle flip and the kick would start to be off putting after 30-40 rounds. It was never an issue in the field though. I also use an unmoderated .243 and a moderated .308.

I'm a big fan of .270 but if it were me I would be looking at 7mm range of calibres for Boar.

Bigger is defiantly better for boar IMHO but the .270 is a great round I have one but use my .375 or .308 for my boar shooting but these are not great for distance range work(await incoming:scared:) my choice for your use would be a 300 win mag or even ultra mag (which I'm getting soon) or if cost is an issue a 30-06 similar to .270 but 30 cal so more effective for boar.(not talking about shot placement)

have a weathery 270 shoot 110 grain bullets through it.i feel very little recoil through it but have noticed more flip from it when i moved from a t8 to a wildcat moderator. my son also shoots a 270 his is a a browning a bolt use to kick but he got a gunsmith to add weight to his stock and it now shoots sweet

I have cf2 no silencer, the kick is no different to my 243, I don't notice it. I think there is a lot of talk about kicking rifles, a lot is badly fitting guns or incorrect mounting , a good recoil pad fixes most problems.

I was in a similar position where i fancied a gun for the occasional red/boar - I opted for the 30-06 and have to say I find it a nice round to shoot - this will sound odd but its more of a slow recoil than the 243....its a thump rather than a crack but still a pleasure to shoot and you can go from 110gr to 220gr in 30-06...the only issue I was told was that certain continental areas won't allo mil cal's....

Regards,

Gixer

Last edited:
the only issue I was told was that certain continental areas won't allo mil cal's.... Regards, Gixer

Yeah, we hear that all the time but who on earth in the UK would allow some French politician to decide what rifle they can buy? We've got enough mad firearms legislation without attempting to factor mad French legislation into our decision making process.

I have a 270 which i loaded down a little with 150 grain sp. Its taken many deer and boar and always does the business at the other end. Took it to a cinema range in france and my nephew shot 50 rounds through it with no ill effect and he dont weigh 10 stone wet through.

Yeah, we hear that all the time but who on earth in the UK would allow some French politician to decide what rifle they can buy? We've got enough mad firearms legislation without attempting to factor mad French legislation into our decision making process.

That may be the case but regardless of what we say - it will ruin a shooting trip if you get to a border and they won't let you take your rifle with you...

I was in your situation a few years back, I bought a 270wsm, and don't know now what I was worried about, I've grown quite attached to it, and thoroughly enjoy shooting it.

Plainly it will recoil more than a 243 because its launching a much heavier bullet quite a bit faster than a 243, however with a mod on its certainly not much different to a 308.

Go for it you wont look back, and I expect the 243 had better get comfy in the cabinet, cos it wont be coming out as much :)

It's not bad at all. I gave a friend a few shots with the .22 yesterday then have him the .270 without the mod... He didn't think it was as bad as the shotgun and that was with clay cartridges :lol:

I have a 270 which i loaded down a little with 150 grain sp. Its taken many deer and boar and always does the business at the other end. Took it to a cinema range in france and my nephew shot 50 rounds through it with no ill effect and he dont weigh 10 stone wet through.

Bearing in mind your shoulder will be absorbing far more of the recoil if you are prone compared to standing. I agree people tend to make a fuss over the .270 recoil when it is quite tame compared to many calibers.

My .270 is fine without a mod, but I have been waiting since last September for it to come back to me from being threaded so I will report in when it does....:evil:

I have a .243 and a 270. You will notice a bit more recoil from the 270 and you will get more muzzle flip but you will get used to it.

you can have a bash with mine next time
you are plenty man enough I am sure!!

​proper man's cartridge

The recoil is harmless. My wife uses a 270 unmoderated and she is average size.........if you don't want to put a mod on it, get a heavy rifle!

Back