Rimfire moderator, more than one calibre?

Labrat

Hello chaps - bit of a puzzled look on my face at the moment

I've got a .17hmr rifle on my certificate, along with a moderator - standard one with no serial number

this is recorded on my cert as follows:

calibre makers name type action identification number
.17HMR UNKNOWN Sound Moderator N/A NONE
.17HMR CZ Rifle Bolt Action A45___

Now, I've also got an open slot for a .22RF rifle, that I've filled this afternoon at the phoenix with a lovely little 10/22 for a bargain price - and an open slot for a .22 sound moderator, that I haven't filled.

Legally, is there any reason that I can't use the rimfire moderator that I've got on the .17HMR on the new .22 ? or would I need to buy a separate identical moderator to keep things in order?

thanks for any pointers

​K

Hello chaps - bit of a puzzled look on my face at the moment

I've got a .17hmr rifle on my certificate, along with a moderator - standard one with no serial number

this is recorded on my cert as follows:

calibre makers name type action identification number
.17HMR UNKNOWN Sound Moderator N/A NONE
.17HMR CZ Rifle Bolt Action A45___

Now, I've also got an open slot for a .22RF rifle, that I've filled this afternoon at the phoenix with a lovely little 10/22 for a bargain price - and an open slot for a .22 sound moderator, that I haven't filled.

Legally, is there any reason that I can't use the rimfire moderator that I've got on the .17HMR on the new .22 ? or would I need to buy a separate identical moderator to keep things in order?

thanks for any pointers

​K

Good question, I'm in a similar position with a .30 mod which I use on my .243 and I'm thinking of buying a .308 and hope to use the mod on that as well!

Just inform your FEO that you wish to use one sound Mod for two rifles, as long as the rifles have a slot for a sound Mod it should be OK

Last edited:
what you should have ask for was a rimfire mod not a calibre specific then you can use one on both rifle same as centre fire think you will be ok but i would ask my FO for advice.

You can use one mod for all, BUT, each rifle must have an 'authority to aquire' a mod for each. This is what gives the authority to use a mod with the rifle, without a slot, you cannot use a mod even if you have one to suit.

Regards
​Pete

The tramp I have had 2 . 22 rifles and 1 .22 modifier, nowhere on my license does it say which rifle it is for, so which one should it be fitted too.

I have one moderator for two rifles,, no restriction on what one it goes on, and one of them does not have a slot for a moderator. I have a moderator, I have the rifles, I am entitled to use them.

L&B sensability at work again. If police Scotland use best practice then things should get easier for a few folk in Scotland.

When I had a 17HMR and a 22LR I asked whether I could use the same mod and Northern Constabulary (that was) were only too happy: changed to "SMALLBORE" on the ticket...and it saved me the price of a variation when doing a 141 before buying the 17HMR. They'd actually have been happy either way but were also happy for me to save some money.
Maybe it's just up here that being sensible overcomes jobs worth? Long may it continue under the new regime.

You can use one mod for all, BUT, each rifle must have an 'authority to aquire' a mod for each. This is what gives the authority to use a mod with the rifle, without a slot, you cannot use a mod even if you have one to suit.
+1

When I had a 17HMR and a 22LR I asked whether I could use the same mod and Northern Constabulary (that was) were only too happy: changed to "SMALLBORE" on the ticket...and it saved me the price of a variation when doing a 141 before buying the 17HMR. They'd actually have been happy either way but were also happy for me to save some money.
Maybe it's just up here that being sensible overcomes jobs worth? Long may it continue under the new regime.

Similar here...I can use my .17HMR sound moderator on any other calibre I have that the moderator is suitable for i.e. .22lr. This was clarified with my feo. I can take my .243 and my .308 out and use them both, same logic is applied to the moderator, they are separate line items that are 'firearms' in their own right.

Regards
​Pete

nope
I had authority to acquire 1 mod
some forces are sensible some are not

I run the same Pes T12 on six barrels
its marked as "full bore moderator" despite the fact that 4 of the barrels are rimfire

I changed its classification from "small bore" to "full bore" by request when i wanted to use it for the first time on a centrefire
their words not mine

I have authority to acquire mods for all five slots, if you've got to apply for a variation anyway, why not start with more firearms and just do exchanges for any new calibre you might want in the future? I was thinking exchange a .22lr mod (bought a .22lr target rifle that doesn't need one), for a .308 for target and Boar, and exchange the .223 mod for one mod to cover .223, 6.5x55, and .308, and then the 6.5x55 mod for a .338 Lap Mag.

Thats how I looked at it, my firearms holding would technically remain the same, until I hankered after a .50 obviously...

I have authority to acquire mods for all five slots, if you've got to apply for a variation anyway, why not start with more firearms and just do exchanges for any new calibre you might want in the future? I was thinking exchange a .22lr mod (bought a .22lr target rifle that doesn't need one), for a .308 for target and Boar, and exchange the .223 mod for one mod to cover .223, 6.5x55, and .308, and then the 6.5x55 mod for a .338 Lap Mag.

Thats how I looked at it, my firearms holding would technically remain the same, until I hankered after a .50 obviously...

exactly!
Always apply for a mod slot for EVERY rifle whether you plan to use one or not
My last two one-for-ones were mods for rifles!

The tramp I have had 2 . 22 rifles and 1 .22 modifier, nowhere on my license does it say which rifle it is for, so which one should it be fitted too.
I agree, and use one mod for several. But, reading through my dsc book, it says what I posted, I'm going to clarify this with my feo in the morning, even though I know she knows I swap and change, but, better safe than revoked eh

​pete

I have authority to acquire and possess a centrefire moderator which i have, i use this moderator on two rifles neither or which have a mod authority against them.
What allows me to use them on each rifle is the wording of my conditions, ie. "The .22BR rifle, ammunition and sound moderator shall be used for..................."The 257 Rifle, ammunition and sound moderator shall be used for...........

Ian

Back