Two's up

Well after the horrendous weather we had yesterday I thought it would be a nice morning for a stalk.
Alarm went off at around 04:00hrs got up and dressed didn't even have a cuppa before I was oot the door. It was a fantastic morning weather wise beautiful clear skies with a very light breeze, (today and yesterday couldn't have been more different)
Got parked up at the farm and set up the rifle, double checked I had everything I needed and set off for the wood. Before even climbing the gate I saw the tell tale sign of a white rump wandering through the edge of the wood. I put the bino's on to it and saw it was a Doe with no signs of anything else with her, I thought I would follow her lead anyway to see if there were any Buck's in the vicinity. I crossed the park stopping every 10-15 paces to glass the wood and with no signs of anything I quickly made up the 500yards. I climbed over the fence, crossed the ditch and I was in. Now to say I took my time going through here was an understatement but that's the way I like to go in here as every step can be the difference between success and failure. With the new blanket of growth in the wood of grass and flowers it was quite a nice stalk as I usually feel as though I am walking on cornflakes in there but not today.
I steadily stalked through from one end until I was about half way, I stopped and thought to myself will I go left or right at the clearing, left it was as I had a nice buck there last time home. I had almost made it to the far end of the wood thinking there was nothing about when movement caught my eye, dead ahead it was 2 Bucks and a Doe, had they spotted me I wasn't sure but I stood motionless as they watched in my direction, undecided they continued grazing away on the other side of the fence. I got down on the ground, made myself ready extending the bipod, flipped up the butler creeks and flicking the safety off. No clear shot to be had as they would not stand still and with all the new growth on the trees there always seemed to be a branch in the way. :doh:

They jumped into my side of the fence and continued working their way down behind some Whin bushes as I followed their movement through the scope, still no shot! I watched as they jumped the other fence running along the ditch which I eventually crawled over too (felt like a lifetime trying to get there) trying to stay as quiet as possible. I actually lost sight of them for a bit when I found some cover behind a large whin bush and on glassing the other side of the ditch I spotted the 1st Buck, he was bedding down under some tangled old branches whilst the Doe was about 5 yards along from him, no sign of the 2nd Buck but I knew he was in there somewhere. I stood watching through the Bino's for a while to see if there was any other movement but I just couldn't spot him at all, so 1 beastie it was going to be. I got set up on the sticks, made sure I was completely ready and gave a loud bark from my side of the ditch and at around 60-70yards or so the 1st Buck stood up presenting a perfect neck shot, the 100grn SP dropping it on the spot, I immediately put another round up the spout and within 2-3 seconds or so the 2nd Buck stood up and I put one in his engine room taking out a bit of heart and lung. He did run a few yards and I thought I was going to loose him in the thick of the Whin bushes but I followed him with the bino's and watched him fall just beyond the mound. That anxious moment before they go down always worries me even though I know the shot was good.
View attachment 28632View attachment 28633 A piece of lung from the 2nd Buck.

View attachment 28634View attachment 28635View attachment 28636View attachment 28637

A great morning to be out and for me to get 2, is well lets just say (I am fair tricked).

Hope you enjoy the read.

ATB

Bryan

Good write-up and sounds like it was a cracking morning. Hopefully get out for some more bucks myself when I get home. Better enjoy our scottish summer while it lasts.

Nice one

Good right up as well.

What set up are you using ? 100g is a bit heavy for Roe imo, I know it works well enough but for me 50 or 55g is up to it no bother.

Good going Bryan, 100g a bit heavy mate throw some 139g at em lol won't be long before your using a real rifle lol, cracking pair pal don't think they come out in pairs down here mate.

Lol,I was using my .243 but if they don't get up then 100g is good enough in my book. I am using 55g in my 22-250 but have yet to use it on Roe, but I'm sure it will be more than capable...

ATB

​Bryan

Good going Bryan, 100g a bit heavy mate throw some 139g at em lol won't be long before your using a real rifle lol, cracking pair pal don't think they come out in pairs down here mate.

I Davie, 6.5x55 next pal. Going for another Sako but only once the wife gets over my last purchase of the 22-250 & Swaro, :D

ATB

​Bryan

Tell her the out fit only cost £150 that's what I told mine , and a pair of Swarovski 8x42 slc HDs they were a bargin at £120 lol bless.

Back