wildfowler.250

Hi, I have just joined the site so bear with me if this ends up in the wrong place :rolleyes:

I am looking into picking up a .270 fairly soon,(got my cert. for the gun and mod already) and was just wondering if I could get some advice as there seems to be loads of good info. on this site!

My first choice rifle was going to be a tikka T3 hunter and a second choice was a CZ 550. I'm not sure what the normal cost of each is? but I know the CZ will be cheaper. Which one would you guys recommend? Better shooter ect? I've read that there is too much plastic on the tikka for the price but I could live with that if it's a much better gun. Also, would the CZ realistically need a timney trigger kit to shoot well?

I am looking to put a S&B 8X56 on the rifle? What's a normal price for them? And your preferred recticle?...Illuminated? I have a leupold 6.5-20X40 atm so I am considering keeping this for the time being but not sure...

And finally for a moderator. I was looking at one of the ASE Compact mods but I hear the are fairly expensive? How do you guys find them?

Sorry for such a long winded question but I am going to keep this as my only centerfire,(so it will be taken foxing when needed) and I just want to get the set up right first time so that it will last me.

Many thanks for reading and any replies will be greatly appreciated!

CZ 's are underrated good shooters Tikka's barrels are made in the same factory as Sako, S&B optics can sometimes be found second hand at around £300/£450 if you are lucky, Steve. p.s. welcome to a busy informative site. :D

CZ 452. The 270 is a great choice and will certainly flatten any deer but for example a 308 might have other advantages such as longer barrel life a lighter short action rifle, cheaper ammo and very cheap practice ammo available. I think it is very important to fire many many rounds with a rifle at targets also under field conditions to get used to a rifle. Which is possibly much more important than changing a trigger.
A 308 works well with a short barrel or looses less performance than a 270 30-06 25-06 with a short barrel. This can be an advantage when you add a moderator and don't want the rig to be too long.

The S&B 8x56 is a very good choice. Avoid the no 1 post reticule it does not suit every one. No. 4 is ok No. 7 or is very good. As finnbear say's try to find one second hand. At a push your Leupold would do at the start.

I would always rather invest well into a rifle less on the optics at first.. because one needs time to sort a rifle and find the right ammo etc. it is also a big hassle with licencing to change a rifle. Changing scopes is no problem and one can get better and better optics over time.

Have a look at jaeger sporting arms, they have a new moderator on the market which seems to be very well made and at a very good price. Thar from this site Im sure is using one at the moment.

Take your time with choosing a rifle and handle several.
Remmy and howa have plenty aftermarket bits and cheaper scope mounts than for example a tikka. Stainless rifles do have an advantage and I would prefer them anytime over blued.
Main thing is you enjoy your rifle. Don't get hyped up about people talking about 1/4" groups in the field other things are more important.

edi

For some strange reason the venerable .270 win is out of fasion at the moment so there are plenty of good quality secondhand deals to be had. Whilst there is nothing wrong with a Tika or CZ, I would buy a good used Sako 75 or 85 Stainless Synthetic or laminate. Try McLeods (?), they often have used scopes too. JC

When looking for a 243 I looked at both the CZ and the Tikka. In the end I chose the CZ as it fit me better, im quite a big build and the CZ was bigger with a good stock, the Tikka was quite petite although a nice gun. Try and handle them both and see which fits best 8) I also tried remington 700 and 710, there action wasn't the best, the 710 was terrible.

The CZ action was ok and did the job, the Tikka was nicer but not by a huge amount, A sako 75 I tried had a MINT action as smooth as butter ;) but it cost £1000 :(

finnbear270 said:
I on the other hand was extremely fortunate, (unusual for me) & got my paws on a silky smooth Sako Finnbear .270Win for less than £550!

Finnbear, did you buy the Sako I posted the link to for one of the other guys last month?

If so, how did it turn out? Post a few pics!!

No Sorry Claret, Had this one from a local shooting school in North wales, found her on the shelf badly knocked about with a smashed ejector blade, a trip over to TT Procter at Wilmslow sorted that, the rest is pure pleasure!Steve. :D

The 270 is a great choice and will certainly flatten any deer but for example a 308 might have other advantages such as longer barrel life a lighter short action rifle, cheaper ammo and very cheap practice ammo available.

I think that with Henry Krank selling 270 at £48 per 100 the "myth" of cheap practice 308 is now just that. Maybe in the 1980s yes. But not now since all of NATO went to 5.56mm.

A 308 works well with a short barrel or looses less performance than a 270 30-06 25-06 with a short barrel. This can be an advantage when you add a moderator and don't want the rig to be too long.

Errm? A 140 grain bullet from a 270 (or even a 150 grain bullet) starts at GREATER velocity than does a 308 with the same weight bullet AND is ballistically more efficient. So that doesn't follow at all IMHO.

The S&B 8x56 is a very good choice. Avoid the no 1 post reticule it does not suit every one. No. 4 is ok No. 7 or is very good.

I'd maybe consider a variable. Sometimes 8x is just too much! There are times in woodland when 4x is better. 6x is well, neither "fish" nor "fowl"! I totally agree on reticule with the above post. The "sniper" type is superb for "quarry" six feet tall and two feet wide. But pretty much useless on deer. It just does not give that definition to enable the bullet to be tucked in close up just behind the shoulder.

I would always rather invest well into a rifle less on the optics at first.. because one needs time to sort a rifle and find the right ammo etc. it is also a big hassle with licencing to change a rifle. Changing scopes is no problem and one can get better and better optics over time.

I disagree. If you see a well looked after, good condition, secondhand European 'scope at a bargain price on say Monday then grab it. It WILL NOT be there to buy next week when Monday comes around again!

As long as you are confident of getting your FAC (or already have one with the variation for your 270) then if you see as described seize the chance when good optics come your way. The rifle can wait as the secondhand 270 game is a market where the buyer holds all the cards.

Me? I'd strongly look at the www.guntrader.co.uk website and maybe for a secondhand 270 even try Livens at Burton on Trent who I think had a CZ in 270 with Meopta 8x for sale recently.

As for foxing? A 115 grain bullet in your 270 will outperform any 308 load in terms of flat trajectory as it has a superior ballistic capability.

Lastly accuracy (and second shot rapidity) is EVERYTHING. The nicest rifle ever is useless if it can't achieve good accuracy and easy bolt manipulation on that second shot.

I like the CZs myself. They're very under rated guns. Tikka are ok (I have one) but the plastic bits aren't good. I picked the Tikka over the CZ because I wanted a removable mag and in 6.5x55 you could only get a drop plate from CZ :(

CZ triggers are ok. The set ones on the new 550s are very reasonable. Maybe not as good as the Tikka ones which are great, but they are much better than the rimfire triggers.

I get the feeling you could drop a CZ and it would be fine. If you drop a Tikka you'll probably break something!

I have an 8x56 S&B on my Tikka. They're good for most jobs apart from really close stuff or out of sensible stalking range shots on Fox/Vermin

Thank you very much for all the replies! All very helpful!

Basically, part of the reason I went for the 270 was that a friend has one and also a reloading kit for it so I should be able to have a shot of the kit and also to get taught how to reload for the gun aswell :D

out of interest how do howa compaire with the CZ/tikka for price and quality? I have never been that sure of them but I could be totally wrong!

My main question is buying second hand... With the caliber being unpopular so to speak, how do I tell what is a good buy second hand without getting something that has the barrel shot out? I can't bore scope so any ideas would be really helpful!

Regarding the scope I'll look for a no. 4 or 7 recticle. I was wondering where about the classified section is on this site as I can't seem to find it?:oops:

lastly, does CZ/tikka employ a detachable mag in .270 caliber? That would definately be my preference if I had to choose!

Oh and what is the finnbear like? It sounds interesting
8)

once again many thanks!

ATB CZ452

CZ, There are myths surrounding many calibres, take little or no notice unless you know the speaker well & trust their knowledge, as for the .270Win it's a necked down 30.06, your reloading mate will explain it, Howa's are high quality Japanese constructions, used by many other rifle builders such as Weatherby etc, I have a Howa in 7mm WSM, my buddy the "Arran Assassin" has Howa's, the Finnbear is quite an old girl, in models spanning 1960's to late 70's quality tends to last. :) . Steve. p.s. the classifieds is almost at the bottom of the forum index page. :lol: .

My pennys worth,,,,
I am quite new to stalking , only been at it a couple of years, so dont take this as gospel , its only my view..
I bought a Howa in .270 last year . My dealer got it from highland outdoors . you can go on their website and have a look and get the retail price.. I got Hogue stalk ( Good for grip) and stainless barrell . Wild cat moderator fitted , all for £675.
toped it with a swar 8x56 ...
I have had three fallow bucks this season with the .270 ,,, she does the job,, boiler room placement with 130grains , they dont move an inch,
seems a good enough piece of kit to me.

No need for a bore scope at all! Just take out the bolt and look through the barrel TWICE.

Once from the breech end and once from the muzzle end. The edges of the "lines" aka rifling should be SHARP as if the were a series of little steps. If the edges appear rounded it is worn.

The hollows between the raised parts should be shiny bright. If they are frosted (look like your car windscreen on a winter's morn') then it has had a lot of use.

Having done this once (from the breech end) now do it from the muzzle end.

enfieldspares said:
No need for a bore scope at all! Just take out the bolt and look through the barrel TWICE.

Once from the breech end and once from the muzzle end. The edges of the "lines" aka rifling should be SHARP as if the were a series of little steps. If the edges appear rounded it is worn.

The hollows between the raised parts should be shiny bright. If they are frosted (look like your car windscreen on a winter's morn') then it has had a lot of use.

Smile & wait for the flash! :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry!, couldn't resisit it feeling a bit childish this morning. Steve.

enfieldspares said:

that's great, thanks! I don't suppose anyone knows where I could see pictures of the above to compaire a newish and worn out gun?

Thanks again!

Well CZ452 I have to say, it does appear that maybe the world can be your oyster with a .270. I recently decided that I wanted a little more oomph in a rifle than my .243 SAKO and decided on the dreaded and dated .270, thought it would match me as I too am running out of shelf life.
A SAKO would have been my choice of preference as I do very much like my .243 and will keep it for small species and foxing but having seen the quality for a bargain price of the Parker Hale that ADAMANT purchased I looked at the possibility of aquiring one of these as good as Adams.
After many sleepless nights trawling through Guntrader etc I found one. To expensive I thought, my wife will kill me or make me go back to work for Tesco. £425.00 from West Midland Shooting Ground, selling on behalf of someone else.
Rang them up. Said thats far to expensive, :idea: the only reason its up for that price is because of the glass on top, offer him £350.00. ;)
1 Hour later offer is accepted. Result one superb rifle, less than 30 rounds fired and the best bit. On top of it sits a 6x42 Swarvo scope. :lol:
Been out today and its shooting 1/2 inch @ 100 with 42Gr 4895 with Sierra Game King SPBT. Beat That!! Ask Adam just how chuffed you can get. ;) ;)
John.

If you do a bit of ringing around there are good deals to be had. Picked up a brand new S&B 8+56 30mm tube and A7 ret. £300. It was just missing the box. Been on display. Bargain. It a minter. Got one of the new northstar mod's for £200. I have 2 tikka's. A 595 and a T3. The stock on the T3 is a bit plastic but it keeps the weight down. But what you are getting is awesome accuracy out of a sako barrel. And what i think is the best factory trigger out there

Back