Double rifle in 8x57 jrs or 30r blaser?

Tremplin du Chante

Getting new Blaser express and can't decide between 8x57 and 30r blaser. Only thse calibres available from shop with a big discount on them both.The rifle will be used on boar, reds and roe. What apeals to me with the 8x57 is the much reduced recoil therefore faster second shot but the extra punch of the 30r is not helping make up my mind. I also have a sako in 270 win for any longer distance work so the extra range of the 30r is not really an advantage. Any help much apreciated going down to pick one up next week. Cheers

Ok time to play the Git.
Are you going to be taking 2 rifles onto the hill with you? If you are, fine get the 8x57.

​If not then the 30r blaser is the choice!

8x57 JRS.

IMO an express rifle makes most sense for quick work at shorter ranges - so bullet weight is more important than downrange velocity and manageable recoil is vital, for flinch-free handling and comfort regardless of the number of shots fired.

Beyond your regulated distance, the express is also effectively a single-shot rifle, and can't be moderated, so it really is most at home on organised driven shoots where the game are coming to you and disturbance is already a given.

For everything else you've got the .270.

Pros and cons.
1) .30 calibre bullets more common and easier to obtain in this country than 8mm.
2) .30 Blaser cases are more difficult to come by than 8x57irs

Both suitable for woodland stalking and really none is better than the other. If used on the open hill with longer ranges simply regard it as a single barrel rifle and just zero your scope for that one barrel. Personally my choice is 8x57irs as you will gather from my handle.

Pros and cons.
1) .30 calibre bullets more common and easier to obtain in this country than 8mm.
2) .30 Blaser cases are more difficult to come by than 8x57irs

Both suitable for woodland stalking and really none is better than the other. If used on the open hill with longer ranges simply regard it as a single barrel rifle and just zero your scope for that one barrel. Personally my choice is 8x57irs as you will gather from my handle.

Re ammo - if you are happy to reload, once you have 50 to 100 cases and a couple of boxes of bullets these should keep you going for a long time. Cases easy to get from the continent. RWS at about euro 100 per 100. Alternatively you can get your local friendly RWS dealer to order but they do take a while to come. On the continent you can get v reasonably priced Sellier & Bellots ammo - don't get too exited, in the uk ou same price as RWS etc. or near enough makes no difference.

I have a brno zh o/u in 8x57rx12G which does the job well enough. The ammo is much easier to find it just is about 10% less downrange energy than regular 8x57 loads. Reloading uses the same dies as 8x57.
I think a slower push recoil is better in driven situations than a sharp jerk up as I expect the 30R to do.
Have fun.
Martin

Thanks all had a chance to shoot both calibers in similar weight doubles and recoil was not much different. I live out in France where it easy to get hold of ammo in both calibers so that did not influence my decision. Today decided to go with the 30r blaser. Will let you know how I get on.

Back