Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAA now charge for transporting rifles

SAA now charge for transporting rifles

I travel to S.A. on the 15th June and called SAA today to advise I would be traveling with a firearm, I was advised I will be charged 100 Rand when I arrive in S.A. as a charge for transporting the rifle I will be taking, I queried this as unacceptable, but was told it is now a requirement. There was a previous thread that someone had a letter from the M.D of S.A.A. refuting this,anyone else had to pay a surcharge on arrival. deerwarden

You know that's about 7?

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I ,m off to S.A. next year cost of the hunting is about 1800 so the extra 100 rand might prohibit the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    I ,m off to S.A. next year cost of the hunting is about 1800 so the extra 100 rand might prohibit the trip.
    You'll have to start saving up Mark or get a paper round for the extra money

Wondered when SAA would follow other airlines. Have a great trip! I'll be there in October!

I wouder if it is the fuel cost this side that made the make such a decision? or maybe it is our weak currency.

Good luck to you all traveling this side!! Enjoy the hunting and spoil us with some pics when you all return from your trips

Gerrit jv Vuuren PH & Outfitter
    Bos en Dal Safaris- South Africa
    Home - Bos en Dal Safaris

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    You'll have to start saving up Mark or get a paper round for the extra money
    Got a paper round Eddie, but some b**T**d has nicked me bike.

Interesting as I have just booked my flight with them, queried this and was told no charge. Doesn't mean anything I guess with SAA but will see when I get there.
    Hunting a Lioness and Serval!!

Its not the cost that annoys me but arriving and being told there is a hidden cost you are unaware of. If I buy something I expect to pay the price quoted at the time of purchase, not on arrival at the destination however small or large it may be. Maybe Nina on their travel desk is wrong, as she could not say whether it was per rifle/gun or a one off cost. Wish I could have gone with Virgin again as I found them really switched on and helpful, but flights were far more, so I went for a firearm friendly airline as opposed to Air France and B.A. This is again a cull hunt at very good prices and a good hunting area with lots of animals, will post pictures on return as I took 23 animals last year. deerwarden

Cheap at twice the price !
    When I went there some years ago we used Air France and the pratts at Charles DeGaulle airport gave us a hard time with rifles/bolts etc and when we got to JoBerg found the plonkers had not put our rifles on the plane.
    We had to have a local overnight stay as the next flight in was on the following day. Our internal flight of the previous day to East London was non-returnable and we had to pay again.
    , also we lost one days hunting.
    SAA are great and that is a small price to pay for a good service.