Alliant "Herco" powder

libensvolenspotens

I have just bought a nitro-conversion muzzle-loading pistol and was wondering where I can source "Herco" powder?
I understand that the pistol is stamped 3.5grains"HURCO" which I presume refers to Herco powder as I have no knowledge of HURCO.
The pistol uses shotgun primers so I presume that shotgun powder would be used.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
​Dave

I have just bought a nitro-conversion muzzle-loading pistol and was wondering where I can source "Herco" powder?
I understand that the pistol is stamped 3.5grains"HURCO" which I presume refers to Herco powder as I have no knowledge of HURCO.
The pistol uses shotgun primers so I presume that shotgun powder would be used.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
​Dave

That sounds like an Alan Westlake pistol. He doesn't really do the internet:

http://westlakeengineering.com/

You could probably see him at the Bisley Phoenix meeting tomorrow. Very nice chap. Otherwise call him and discuss suitable loads, depending on what bullet you want to use.

He stamps that info on the cylinder for the benefit of the proof-house, otherwise they might just load it with as much bullseye as fits and blow it up.

Herco is a slow pistol powder and 3.5 grains is a very modest load for e.g. .38 or .44.

Many other powders are also suitable. Load depends a lot on your bullet choice and fit, i.e. room for charge without compression.

Although your pistol uses shotgun primers that is simply for convenience. It is a pistol, not a shotgun, and will use moderate pistol loads (some of which may also use shotgun powders).

To compicate matters there is also Hercules HERCO and also what was known as "bulk Herco". Although now both long gone since Alliant tookover Hercules you may find old stocks of both. The butn characteristics are, apparently, different and so would be the pressures.

Use any fast pistol powder or shotgun powder --red dot ,n310 n320 bullseye etc ,stick to 2gr -2.5 gr and work up an accurate load.It's basically a .38 spl target load ,mine was 2.8 gr n310 with a 148 gr wadcutter .ten ring groups when I did the bizzy.

:old:

Back